Replies

• Pavel this video is completely irrelevant to your discussion. Covering APM in foil is not going to change the Mobius UHF interference is it?

• Yes, it seems to be irrelevant to Pedals2Paddles somehow. Covering only APM with aluminum foil if Mobius is not covered with aluminum foil also, helps to reduce whole UHF noise only partly. If covered both, it should be better or best, but we need to also care if UHF noise does not continue to flow by wires to other components, which is even harder to investigate than just simply find out which component produces. Sometimes even foil does not help so much if there are holes, or it helps to reduce noise only partly. That it is why it is worth to measure UHF noise floor level two times, first prior using aluminum foil for shield and then as second compare and measure noise floor with aluminum foil shield applied. If the noise floor is lower, than it is worth to apply aluminum foil shield for sure. It will be handy when our UAV/FPV aircraft is far away to still listen our transmitter.

• It is irrelevant to the original question.

So is what you are trying to do is shield APM from incoming noise, or protect everything else from the noise APM generates?

I wouldn't worry too much about noise in the wires, that is why we use filters which have been well designed.

• I think there are things which needs to be clarified. We need to protect UHF remote control receiver and UHF RC receiver antenna from near UHF noise as much as we can, to be able to allow receiver to listen our far, because of large distance very quiet control signal as much as we can. We simply wish to stay in control as far as we can, rather then our receiver to allow to listen electronics components which generates signal which is irrelevant to RC control. (I had personal experience with crash when RunCam HD camera, which should not produce UHF noise at all as they describe on the seller website, but produces enough similar like Mobius HD UHF level noise and I shielded it with aluminum foil to not generate UHF noise at all if not connected with wires to power, but the noise propagated via wires farther because of aluminum foil touched USB ground and propagated noise further to OSD and other components and noise was received by antenna or via wires, which caused crash, since there was no autopilot during test of this behavior in about just 1km range in additional UHF interference from power lines which helped also. Also had one more crash with RunCam HD not shielded in 1km range previously. ) By shielding all electronics components and minimizing UHF noise floor, now power lines does not cause any significant interference to remote control and control range increased.

• In  which case congratulations on increasing your range.

I think you should have asked your original question a bit differently, however, as shielding APM wont really achieve any of what you are talking about.

Power lines and the mobius are significantly larger noise sources than APM so IMO I would focus on getting these right rather than risking a short circuit on your flight controller.

• This guy posted this question on Facebook too. He's oddly obsessed with wrapping things in tin foil and calling it "shielding".  I've asked him repeatedly to show evidence of UHF emissions from the APM causing interference to RC.  He's provided no evidence and makes excuses. Just strange assumptions.  Also, the "UHF Spectrum Analyzer" isn't. He doesn't have a spectrum analyzer or any other actual test equipment.  It's just the analyzer mode on the OpenLRS system.  He posts a bunch of graphs showing UHF "interference" when he rams the antenna into the APM.  But no evidence of any actual interference in flight.

I think anyone that actually uses the APM and UHF knows this is a total non-issue.  Multiple people have tried to tell him this to no avail.

• Pedals2Paddles, you are totally crazy guy. I wonder how you can be such idiot and not expected behavior person. Hunting people over the internet instead of simply try to read, understand, ask, and study the facts. Please do that for me study things carefully. And do not hunt people!!! If you would study things you would know that in open LRS spectrum analyzer mode you can compare two signals. So to be able to measure noise. You do TWO measurements. First you Measure UHF signal when you have everything, all your FPV/UAV airplane/copter switched off with no battery connected. Then you click button "Safe Reference", and this signal will be marked in graph as Reference Signal with special orange like/yellow color. Then you do Second Measurement. You connect battery to your FPV/UAV airplane/copter and try to place step by step the electronic component which you would like to measure near the Open LRS spectrum analyzer antenna. If the signal gets above the marked "Reference Signal" it is clear that it is additional generated UHF signal/noise produced by that electronic component which is currently near or above Open LRS spectrum analyzer antenna. So this way you simply measure what produces and what does not produce UHF frequency band noise. Is it clear now? Please stop doing yourself an idiot and if it is not clear, just ask what is not clear, it is always better to ask than simply saying "no evidence", which is arrogant, ignorant and looks stupid. It just shows stupidity of person instead of trying to find out what other person tried to tell. Only one person which behaved that strange way was you!

Where is he talking this up on FB Pedals?

• Is your APM actually radiating UHF?

I can think of more likely culprits for unwanted UHF 'noise', i.e. FPV camera, GoPro of similar.

Just move your Rx and antenna as far away as practical. 

• I just measured everything with UHF spectrum analyzer and used aluminum foil on power module, PlayUAV OSD and now on Mini APM 2.7.2. Going to measure differences. I try to move is as far as possible also. But would prefer to have UHF RC as much as reliable, that it is why I am doing this aluminum foil also.

This reply was deleted.