Hello! I am rebuilding an old APMBoat from a few years ago, and at the time was unable to find a way to get the boat to hold position. When it reached the final waypoint, it would just stop and float with the current/wind. The only thing I was able to do is have it change speed and repeat a pattern with the DO_JUMP command very slowly. 

But that wastes power - is there a way to get it to return to a location if it drifts a set distance away? 

I was thinking I would use a geofence, but it looks like that capability is not implemented iwth APMRover. 

Any workarounds, suggestions? 

Thanks!

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Developer

So you would be driving/sailing along, go into RTL and the vehicle would go to the nearest Rally point?  This is what Plane can be configured to do now - is it what your saying?

Thanks, Grant.

• Hi,

What do you think also of a possibility to RTL to home position by the same previous way?

On sea you can have many obstacles (buoy, boat, jetty and so) preventing a direct RTL to home position.

Regarding the rally point, RTL to the nearest, seem the best and secure idea.

Regards,

• Like!

Thanks Grant! I know I'll use it too for my USV. Time to get some real work done out on the water.

• I second this - so far as far as I know this has not been implemented. But I am ready to help in any way I can! My boat is available for testing anytime. 

• Thanks Grant,

open source doesn't exactly mean, anything can be easily modified by third parties juniors like us.

Let me know your modifications to original Ardu code via API scripting.

Either Linux or Android are open source but it doesn't mean we can modify anything

since Ardu software looks to be highly sophisticated, professional software product, developed for years.

Just tell me what can be modifed or new feature added via API scripting just within few hours.

darius

• have you tried running arduplane as a short term fix?

the code you need to add for loiter mode is a simple

throttle / distance to waypoint percentage with dead band(probably waypoint radius)

steering mapped to bearing to waypoint.

• Sweet! I'll be happy to test it on my boat. This boat is also equipped with telemetry and video over cellular so you'd be welcome to test it as well. I'll PM you the connection details. 

That being said, it'll be a couple more days before I get the motor/drive system working and get it in the water. 

• Sounds like what you want is a dynamic positioning system ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_positioning ).  I've been thinking about designing one my self.  There are a lot of factors to consider, one being how you are going to thrust the vehicle to the desired location.  That won't be easy if all you have is a single prop / thruster.  Much better to have three, and ideally 4 thrusters to accomplish this.

Dynamic positioning
    Dynamic positioning (DP) is a computer-controlled system to automatically maintain a vessel's position and heading by using its own propellers and th…
  • BTW: Here is my drone boat. Made from a Child's kayak. This video is a bit old, I'm dumping the trolling motor and going with a low KV outrunner inboard to swing a large prop at low RPMs. 

• do you have a link to a thread with the building of this boat. Great job!!! I'm curious what you came up with to steer that motor with.

This reply was deleted.