Modified Y6

How many of you are not happy with the landing gear for your Y6?  I bought my 3DR kit last winter and mounted the Tarot 2D gimbal platform but after a hard landing and a broken gimbal mount, I decided to research and find something better.  My final result is this landing gear which required a slight bit of drilling to mount.  I purchased the landing gear from goodluckbuy.com

FPV T-shape Carbon Fiber Landing Gear Skid for RC Multicopter X650 S550 Compatible (SKU: 105883)

Check out my photos.  :-)

20140629_210302.jpg

20140629_210351.jpg

20140629_210412.jpg

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• If anyone is curious, I posted a video of the new landing gear taking a bit of a beating as I was somewhat aggressively landing it on my sidewalk.  check out my page.

• I watched your video. Your flying skills are very good and that Y6 looks nice. I feel like I'm piloting the Enterprise into battle on each flight and need to go back to Star Fleet command for repairs after getting torpedoed by the Klingons. Sheesh.

I also like your LED setup. Do you have a parts list?

For the guys who don't want to put the modded legs on but don't like the factory legs because it doesn't take much to loosen the screws and the legs are flimsy anyway IMO, here's what I did:

1) Used 242 Loctite on the screws. The plastic spacers don't seem to get attacked by that formula. However, after a few harder landings they worked loose again. Then I tried a longer screw to get deeper into the spacer, but still wasn't satisfied.

2) Bought Loctite Super Glue 'Gel Control' and put a bead around every spacer so that it adheres to the legs. The screws can be loosened to provide a gap, but even without that a bead adds much more strength. For stripped out holes, I used it for them as well. I also put a bead along the joint of the square spacer on the bottom that fits in the slots on the legs.

3) On my Y6 (2014 version) the legs have 3 sets of holes, but the arm only has two holes about 1" apart. With that 3rd hole not used, it makes the legs considerably weaker as the inner part at the top bends outward thereby causing the screws the work their way loose. Now there are three screws, but two outer ones would probably be fine. It's almost as if this was overlooked because putting two screws so close together does lend to strong support IMO. 

Oh I may still break a leg, but they are much stronger now, the screws will never come loose again, and may even prevent vibration issues. That Loctite glue is like using a MIG welder- very good stuff.

UbU2gLE.pnguW3b2zu.png

• That should be "does NOT lend to strong support......"

• I had about the same problem and broke quite a few of those legs...

The 2014 legs are much better! I had a crash from around 2 meters onto grassy ground just today with no damage - just some dirt on the legs (the legs went around 2 or 3 cm into the dirty...)

The new improved shape is more robust, a bit longer and still looks great. Also, replacing the nylon screw with metal ones helped!

• Excellent, I acquired this beautiful model 

http://www.banggood.com/XCAM-KongCopter-AY600-3Axis-FPV-Alien-Copte...

and is very solid. but will put the naza lite. and continues XAircraft 650 apm 2.6 in x8 configuration 

• I love the canopy.  And skids.  Nice job.

• Looks great!  Canopy is awesome as well!  Did you design and print it?

JC

• Canopy was ordered out of China - OMGFLY.com

I cut a piece of thin Plexiglas same shape and size of canopy and mounted it to the top carbon plate.  I then attached all my electronics to it, drilled 4 small holes and used tie wraps to secure it in place. Honestly don't think I sacrificed flying time for the small addition of plastic, but I'm sure someone could do what I did with lighter material.

SEOTEXT_HOMEPAGE_TITLE
      SEOTEXT_HOMEPAGE_DESCRIPTION
  • 300km

Thanks for the tip. I was frustrated that there wasn't enough room under the Y6 for anything really. I've bought the skids you recommended. 

It looks like you just need 4 small screws to attach each leg.

• I ran the screws through the upper and lower plates with a plastic spacer in between for strength.

This reply was deleted.