Now that the LidarLite is off the market (until Garmin brings it back), there are not many options for accurate altitude sensing.

I have a optical flow sensor that I would like to mount up, but I don't want to spend $250 for the Lightware SF11, or $230+ for a TeraRanger.

So, my question to any developers:  will ArduPilot be adding firmware support for this sensor?

The specs and the price seem very promising:

http://leddartech.com/en/leddar-sensor-products/leddarone

http://www.robotshop.com/en/leddartech-leddar-one-sensing-module-rs-485.html

Leddar One single element sensor module

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Just the main sources I've used, but another files should be edited to make it work, developers have to understand it.

AP_RangeFinder_Leddar.cpp

AP_RangeFinder_Leddar.h

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3702273494?profile=original
  • Hello friends!

After unsuccessful testing of Terrarager One sensors outdoors (they were bought when only model A were available) and get tired of negotiantions about replacing them with model B which are claim to be more stable outdoors I've decided to order Leddar One (another ONE )))) sensor to try it. I've ordered UART variant.

Faced with the same problem as the other users I've added it to the list of rangefinders in the latest version (beta) of Ardupilot and compiled for Pixhawk and Pixracer controllers. During development i've found serial 5 port couldn't be used for pixawk board, maybe because mine is clone. And this fact took me additional day of debugging )

At the moment I didn't tried the perfomance outdoors, but found it working fine indoors without any additional power supply, special cables (fortunatelly it works require 3.3V as pixhawk/racer boards), capacitors, etc. You just need to connect it to serial port 4 including power lines, upload the corresponding firmware and setup the following parameters:

SERIAL4_BAUD -> 115

SERIAL4_PROTOCOL -> 9 (Lidar)

RNGFND_TYPE -> 11

RNGFND_MIN_CM -> 20

RNGFND_MAX_CM -> 1400

The connection from Lidar to Pixhawk:

1 -> Gnd

3 -> +5V

4 -> Serial4 TX

5 -> Serial4 RX

Firmware variants:

arducopter-v2.px4 - for pixhawk board

ArduCopter-v4.px4 - for pixracer board

Quadrocopter vaiants only compiled at the moment. But I think it's enough for testing. Waiting for feedback.

P.S. Sources are available on the request. Sorry, I haven't time to go deep in details of Github versioning yet...

arducopter-v2.px4

ArduCopter-v4.px4

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3702273485?profile=original
  • Hello folks - been trollin for a while here now good to meet everyone.

Sorry to revive a dead thread.

I wanted to ask if anyone has successfully set this unit up for Pixhawk, and if so how you went about it.

I've connected through arduino (ttl/uart with logic level converter) and Pi (with FTDI through USB) and have found it to be quite accurate to 100', on various surfaces - even as near as 1" (inch) - on the ground, outside. I haven't flown it yet to check it that way but I might try this next by simply logging the output and mounting it and the pi temporarily to the Hex.

If anyone has any ideas on how to go about it, I'd love the input and would seriously appreciate it.

Lance

• Unfortunately there is no public ardupilot driver for the LeddarOne yet. However, but Leddartech's products today, including the LeddarOne, use the standard modbus protocol over UART and RS485. Therefore, developing support for the LeddarOne on ArduPilot should not be too hard using the UART port and modifying some of the existing code examples, which can be found at www.leddartech.com/support .

We also have a very knowledgeable team of applications engineers available to assist our community of developers!

I noticed that the link posted in this article refers to the RS-485 version of the LeddarOne. I would generally recommend anybody considering using this on a drone to go with the UART version of the product (as it will save you a UART to RS485 adapter), available here: http://www.robotshop.com/en/leddartech-leddarone-optical-rangefinde...

Finally, we are always happy to hear about our users, their projects and their fooedback, so please do not hesitate to contact us at support at leddartech dot com or PM directly if you have any feedback or suggestions for future software or hardware revisions.

• Developer

I suspect it's not very difficult to add support but it depends a bit on the interface (analog, spi, i2c) it's using and I can't immediately see what type it is.  If someone wants to send me one I can probably add support or better yet, if this company has c++ developers (or there's some other c++ developer who wants to take on the task) I could give them advice on how to do it.  I can be PM'd here on diydrones of course or emailed at rmackay9 at yahoo.com.

• @Tony,

@Mario,

don't be childlish.

$25 video camera smartphone comes exactly with 3D scanner real-time functionality (application) to extract Z-axis depth in realtime, generating 3D landscape objects in real-time, acting exactly as real-time range-finder, optical flow speed meter.

$25 video camera comes with quad CPU, 2x GPU is really fast, WiFi, Bluetooth, microUSB, DHMI connectivity by defauklt.

LCD display, p[lastic cover can be removed to make it super lightweight.

BTW

Sponsored marketing doesn't work at all (60 views only).

Just denote your blog post as sponsored marketing, likes only.

• Could you talk us through those photogrammetric point cloud definitions?

• "

Range 0m to 15m on natural targets (up to 40m on reflective targets)

"

What about Android smartphone optical range finder application ?

3D smartphone camera scanner works fine, extracting Z-depth from video, if you move your smartphone.

Virtually no range limit.

• Lol this is too funny but you didnt ask why darius would save leo. Because he is the best repellent you did not buy. Its just there. Hahahah
    • Only darius could have saved leo.
This reply was deleted.