Hi All,

I was recently fiddling around the code for a while and decided to create a tutorial out of it so that others may find it useful. If I would have known this knowledge long back, I am sure I would have saved a lot of time since then! I find lot of beginners getting swayed and lack of knowhow on MavLink with respect to APM/PX4. Information on internet is scattered and not much of use!! 

This will be "Step by Step" entertaining, PART - I of the series I plan to write.on:

3691077228?profile=original

What it Covers:

1. MavLink, starting from scratch. What the hell is it and understand how it works with APM/ PX4
  2. Learn how developers think -> Arducopter communication with Mission Planner and vice-versa.
  3. Get a feel of 'How Stuffs works'.

Too much hype:) Well, this information has been collated from my experience and from internet. I know there is information on the new Wiki, it tells you what, I plan to tell you 'how'! :)

Please let me know if you found it interesting. If there is enough response, I will make another tutorial where I would add more 'Step by step' knowhow!!

Options:

- More on MavLink

- Learning Arducopter source code, Step by Step

- Making swarm (multiple) copters work with your 3DR Telemetry radio! I am working on it.

See attachment for [MAVLink Tutorial for Absolute Dummies (Part –I)]

Edit: Request you to post your queries over the forum directly, as it is not possible for me to address all queries I get by email!

--

Best regards,

Shyam

MAVLINK_FOR_DUMMIESPart1_v.1.1.pdf

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 3D Robotics

Great guide! I've linked to it at the official dev site here

• I'd like to say many thanks for this guide. It is helping me out greatly.

mavlink documentation is sparse as you said, I am trying to integrate a CLI interface in LabVIEW similar to mavproxy for my university project.

I have messaged you. thanks.

• Thank you Shyam once again for this useful Tutorial .
    I cant wait to see  Part 2.

I was trying some days now to find a simple tutorial ( for dummies ) on how to read MavLink through my Raspberry Pi with no success.
    It is in your intention to cover this in the next Parts?
    If No .. could you please guide a noob like me to understand in simple steps how to install and read those msgs in my Pi ?

Thank you in advance.

• i would also like to know more about SWARM  screen

• Thank you, about bloody time. I have put dust covers over my Ardu and am using my KK2 instead. The uploading of information from computer to the flight controller is too complex, not all of us out here are computer nerds. I got 32 flights from the Ardu and then it refused to arm so now I am stuffed! How about a Mission Planner lite so that we can just fly instead of playing around with endless parameters that we don't understand.

Thanks for making a start Shyam

• Thank you for this it will be very helpful to me and keep up the good work and pass on all that you can as I need help with the 2.5 best regards ,

Bob

• Love the idea, thanks for doing it, its absolutely something i am interested in learning

• Timing is perfect. :)

This reply was deleted.