Developer

To create a valid SBC Linux Image we need to know what software that would be useful to a new comer to have pre-installed.

Statring with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS for ODROID /RPi2
Additional Software would be 
System Software
- FTDI USB support (drivers are built in)
- Python
- WiFi Support (As Client and Access Point)
- DHCP and DNS Support
- LTE Module Support (needs list of compatible devices)
- OpenCV + Python Bindings
- OpenVPN support for secure connections
- gstreamer-1.0
Drone Software
- MAVProxy
- DroneAPI
Python Applications
- Randy's Balloon Finder
- Drone API examples 
Bootup to start MAV Proxy and other Python software in know configurations
[LATER] Also  

- Inadyn

- dnsutils

- modeswitch

- proftpd

- VLC  (Some people prefer VLC over gStreamer)

- Uqmi  ?  (True LTE support. Widely used by OpenWrt)

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Agree, that's why -for the moment- ArduPilot is running on BBBMINI ..... How would you call this one?
      The FSU , the Autopilot computer , the main computer?

The companion computer concept is getting more confusing now because The Flight System Unit is becoming a process within a device and with the next generations all these process will run on the same computer.
  • Developer

mdns and a webserver , so users can just go to something like http://companion.local and get to the configuration interface.

• I've been waiting for someone to do this for some time!

If I could add a couple:

Tridges excellent image recognition CUAV: 

https://github.com/CanberraUAV/cuav

https://pypi.python.org/pypi/cuav

If possible run Openwrt for wifi network routing duties including 3G/4G.

Also maybe Open Media Vault for sharing images/data easily whilst the aircraft is on the ground or the air, and via the web using integrated OpenVPN/DDNS or FTP server/website hosted on the companion computer in OMV.

Maybe Wigle or netstumbler for drone based wardriving.

Setup RTLSDR for running PiAware ADSB receiver and sharing. Along with SDR# for RF spectrum analysis using RTSDR dongle. Backup telemetry and GPS receiver is possible as is running OpenGNU. RTLSDR RF data is also easily streamed to ground device over wifi. It's also possible to use OMV to stream DVB-T television reception from the same dongle.

Ideally there would be a CLI/web interface to activate individual functions as required to manage the CPU/RAM overhead for running these services.

Technically it would be possible to host a web based GCS on the companion computer web server. This would mean NO software installation requirements to run on most popular mobile/PC devices. Performance should be ok.

Odroid C1 and/or Orange Pi support should be included, as the Orange Pi PC (1GBRAM Quad A7 1.6Ghz) is significantly cheaper at just $15! There's also a smaller cheaper one coming soon...

Regards JB

CanberraUAV/cuav
    CanberraUAV OBC code. Contribute to CanberraUAV/cuav development by creating an account on GitHub.
    • Those are excellent suggestions, JB!

Several of these are already included in FlytOS (http://flytbase.com). We will soon be releasing an image for Pixhawk-SBC use. 

One of the items missing on the list is ROS.

I have an image which will be uploaded in the next few days that include ROS Indigo.  Its primary purpose is support for the SEEK Thermal Camera, which runs as a ROS Topic and streams thermal images via Wifi.   The image also includes MAVROS.  

Also, if you're going to add LTE Module support, you probably also want to add something like dyndns and maybe instructions for using a service like no-ip (free).   

You should probably add ffmpeg as well.  

Also you mention Python bindings for OpenCV.  You should also include numpy, TKInter and ImageMagick as well.  

• Great contribution Bill.

I dont know the pre-installed software for ubuntu, but i post my "top of mind" anyway.
    System Software

- Inadyn

- dnsutils

- modeswitch

- proftpd

- VLC  (Some people prefer VLC over gStreamer)

- Uqmi  ?  (True LTE support. Widely used by OpenWrt)

This reply was deleted.