Developer

What is Pixhawk 2?

www.pixhawk2.comPixhawk 2 is a small cube, with a 38.5mm square footprint.All connection to the cube is via a DF17 connector coming out the bottom of the cube.This modularity allows for multiple form factors to suit multiple platforms.For the stand alone market, it will be coming out in two form factors to start with, a "Full" configuration, and a "mini" configuration. The full will have connectors for everything, the kitchen sink.... While the mini is restricted to the bare essentials.For RTF's or kit aircraft, I am working on a series of plug and fly systems, that allow you to remove most of your wiring from your aircraft, and take advantage of the easy to use modular structure.The cube also has a massive quality advantage. Given that every single pin is available on the DF17 connection on the base, it allows complete factory full motion testing and calibration of each cube.Pixhawk 2 is continuing to grow. When we release the Pixhawk 2 stand alone, it will be using the latest sensors available on the market, in a form factor that allows the ultimate in flexibility.Please note. Pixhawk 2 Stand alone is NOT a 3DR product. It is a community driven product, designed by the community for the community.A key requirement for my partner companies who will be making this will be active support of the community.Looking forward to announcing more info soon!Philip RowseLead Systems EngineerProfiCNCLead EE on Pixhawk 2 PX4 and Ardupilot Dev team member(formally 3DR sponsored)

image.jpeg

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Admin

@Hughes,

As Chris A has stated, 3DR will continue selling the Pixhawk1 as they appear to be doing on the 3DR website. However Chris A has stated that presently they will not make the 3DR version of the Pixhawk2 available for sale to the DIY community.

The Pixhawk2 is Open Source/Hardware and as Philip has stated, it belongs to the community.

Regards,

Tom C AVD

• 'Not sure the community "deserves" anything (I don't really think anybody "deserves" anything though...we deserve what we're capable of getting, nothing more - life isn't fair and I'm fine with that)...  Sure it'd be easier to navigate and plan if everyone were 100% transparent with all future anticipated commercial endeavors, but that's not the world we live in.  I for one am super stoked that there's as much transparency as there is...I don't know of any other "fledgling" industry built off the backs of such open communication and it's refreshing.

That being said.... I think the real question isn't "what", but rather "when" is Pixhawk2? :)

• I think Pixracer is doing well and there is no need to add two new versions. I mean the bigger version of Pixhawk 2 is going to be enough. So community could have few versions to concentrate on.

• Really looking forward to this. It's a major step up in autopilot design!

• Hi Philip,

My only question is: with pins so tiny, is that connector reliable enough for the job as to always have solid pin contact?

It's going to be used on all sorts of airframes, some with heavy vibrations, some after repeated crashes, sometimes in humid conditions, etc., and the last thing one would want later is streams of complaints of airframes dropping out of the sky due to bad contacts from loose or oxidized pins.

• Developer
      That's a really valid question!

The thing that is really good here, is that we have had the last 18 months of it being abused in Solo. The DF17 connector was specifically chosen for its vibration tolerance, and boy has that been tester to the max!

I trust the DF17 far more than the wired connectors that join the rest of the system together...
    • Is Pixhawk2 designed to use daughter board to share with companion board, such as Edison ?

Without share of the daughter board, it will not economical way for Pixhawk2 board configuration.

• Developer
      Yes, Edison is one option, and has already been done. The NVIDIA TX1 is another, and a carrier board for that will also be available soon.

Putting them all on the same carrier board is exactly how this is intended.
    • Hi Phillip,

How about Raspberry Pi?

• Developer
      Yes, raspberry Pi makes a nice co computer as well, the 3 just came out as well!
This reply was deleted.