Developer

What is Pixhawk 2?

www.pixhawk2.comPixhawk 2 is a small cube, with a 38.5mm square footprint.All connection to the cube is via a DF17 connector coming out the bottom of the cube.This modularity allows for multiple form factors to suit multiple platforms.For the stand alone market, it will be coming out in two form factors to start with, a "Full" configuration, and a "mini" configuration. The full will have connectors for everything, the kitchen sink.... While the mini is restricted to the bare essentials.For RTF's or kit aircraft, I am working on a series of plug and fly systems, that allow you to remove most of your wiring from your aircraft, and take advantage of the easy to use modular structure.The cube also has a massive quality advantage. Given that every single pin is available on the DF17 connection on the base, it allows complete factory full motion testing and calibration of each cube.Pixhawk 2 is continuing to grow. When we release the Pixhawk 2 stand alone, it will be using the latest sensors available on the market, in a form factor that allows the ultimate in flexibility.Please note. Pixhawk 2 Stand alone is NOT a 3DR product. It is a community driven product, designed by the community for the community.A key requirement for my partner companies who will be making this will be active support of the community.Looking forward to announcing more info soon!Philip RowseLead Systems EngineerProfiCNCLead EE on Pixhawk 2 PX4 and Ardupilot Dev team member(formally 3DR sponsored)

image.jpeg

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• oh man cant wait! was going to buy a Pixhawk to build a new quad for the summer but now I will wait. 

• Philip, will Pixhawk 2 be ITAR free? Have you any study about keeping FC free to export? I heard some countries (not blacklisted ones) had some issues with purchasing Pixhawk from USA.
    • Developer
      That was a Department of Commerce issue, not ITAR. Phantom, Solo, and all similar drones have basically the same components in them. Those days of trying to control this are gone.
  • Phillip, this is coming along at a cracking pace. Well done !

Looking forward to getting them airborne :)

Something to get excited about.

• Hi Philip, what is the status on manufacturing? Are you targeting exclusive manufacturers or multiple suppliers?

• Developer

It is very complex to set up manufacturing, and expensive.  It is important that the manufacturer will be able to make a profit, or the motivation to produce is reduced.

I am talking to two manufacturers at the moment, one is in the process of ramping up production, and the other is still at the planning stage. so when they are up, it will give confidence to the market.

All Pixhawk 2 manufacturers will have strict QC requirements and testing, each cube will go through a 100% functional test, and sensor calibration at the factory. All PH2's sold will put funds to Devs.

Identifying the manufacturer of each cube will also be simple.

• > All PH2's sold will put funds to Devs

great and lock out who is going to bypass it ;)

• This design looks really great. Have you considered if the carrier board case could have mounting hole tabs added?  I really hate double side tape holding things together on my aircraft. If the "cube" really has internal vibration protection built-in,the ability to use screws in rubber grommets to mount the FC would be a great time saver.  If size is an issue for some , mounting tabs' could be removed easily.  I have lots of servo grommets , and I would love to see this mounted as any servo would. Makes removal for maintenance and repair a lot easier.

Keep up the good work

Joe

• He posted earlier that PH2 will be manufactured in 3 (or possibly till 5) suppliers from multi countries.

• Hi Philip,

Yesterday I saw a message from Chris/3DR ( in response to what apparently a 3DR support person mistakingly had communicated ) that they would release "a new" pixhawk soon... There have been quite some confusing and fuzzy messages so it doesn't make the short and middle term strategy on buying existing autopilots or waiting for something "soon to be released" easier.  Is your inititative with Pixhawk 2 overlapping or in any way linked to what 3dr is doing on pixhawk (1) successor strategy? 

This reply was deleted.