I Found a solution to the problem; I changed ESCs to Tiger Motor ESCs and changed the signal to 200hz.

More tunning on PID required, will try Autotune, however quad flies great on stabilized mode.

It is now clear that the problem is not related to PIXHAWK but to the ESCs and  signal processing by the motors . As previously mentioned by experts in this Forum, the signal for Pixhawk is always the same and the controller is not the problem.

7/27/2015

Ok I accidentally sent a message to all the group, but I meant to make a clear declaration about PIxhawk.

For some reason, no one has ever found a resolution with the motor sync issue with some ESCs,( in my case with hobbywing 40a and 60a and the sudden loss of control of the Pixhawk  due to signal malfunction with low RPM high pole count motors  ( t motor 4008 380kv).

I believe it is important to mention, that after tunning, changing ESCs checking motors, and a few minutes of Stabilize and Loiter flight mode flight, switching to Pixhawk has been truly disappointing, and everyone should no that it will take some time to reach the " industrial" reliability and end user friendliness of the DJI Wookong M in the Pixhawk.

I believe it will be possible, but when there are potential to date unsolved issues, the community needs to be aware of them, in order to create proper expectations of Drone Builders and developers.

Pixhawk is completely incompatible with hobbywing Pentium 60 a and Hobbywing 40a ESCs. It Flips on necessary roll adjustments, and the motors are completely out of synchronization, even after adjusting RC signal parameters, PID adjustments, ensuring good connections, and checking motors and ESCs.

I truly hope the solution will be using DJI or T motor ESCs; however, there is a lot of people that are likely to try Hobbywing, or other brand high Amp ESCs with large motors, and my message is:

DON'T try it!!

You will spend more money, parts and time and brain power than simply using another controller.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hello, I need help.
    I discovered something important.
    Once you have calibrated all, including the ESC. Remember Me, to calibrate the engines, I had 100% of the power in the engines. Bad when I try to fly I have 10% of power in the engines.

As it happens this. How can I change and where to have 100% of the motor / ESC in flight.

You can see my video:

https://youtu.be/LFT-Hpqw7QE

• Hello 

360 KV

we  esc wii  fly with 6s Lipo without problems. The software is easy to programieren all options
    Pixhawk is not the problem

• Developer

It's just a matter of correct controller timing. I fly large scale planes using 120kv motors spinning 28" propellers on 12S without any problems. But without correct timing the motor would be screaming like a pig every time you throttled aggressively.

3702582467?profile=original

• Is this for real??  Breaking news.  Major scandal revealed!  Pmarche has made an unbelievable discovery.  Stop the press at Buzzfeed....

Brace yourselves for this one...

OMG!

Not all pieces of complex hardware and electronics are perfectly compatible with all other pieces of complex hardware and electronics.

• Ok. I repeat. You are right, further tuning and calibration are required. All I wanted to do is to make first time builders aware so that the same mistake is not repeated. All I found were inconclusive answers to a common problem. Consequently, given the time and money I have spent, I wanted to make other users aware of the problem.

• Yes, the original post to this thread was pretty silly, I actually thought it was clickbait trolling to start with.  But to be fair he's stuck around and rationally discussed the issues and accepted it's not a pixhawk problem (not to say the pixhawk doesn't have problems, but this isn't one of them).

This is one of the things that would really benefit the project for someone with good knowledge around this issue to add to the wiki.  Lots of us who start out with the pixhawk read the wiki from start to finish as the primary initial source of information, and it's good for that and getting better all the time.  But it doesn't include much information about 'gotchas' or 'good practice from people who have been doing this for donkeys years and crashed lots to get there', and a page or even a para on this kind of issue in the motor/esc setup/calibration pages might go an awful long way with newbies, not to mention helping the reputation of the pixhawk against undeserved criticism.

• My setup has a new and interesting problem I am curious if anyone has any input on.

I use the Tiger Motor MN4010-11 475kv motors with Tiger Motor S45A ESCs on a Tarot 650 with 16x5.4 Tiger props.  Everything was great until an ESC connection came loose and it crashed.  After rebuild (1 ESC, 1 frame, misc bits, same Pixhawk/motors) it sounded terrible and a quick test flight confirmed something was not right.  I initially thought it might be vibration caused by the different props I tried on the rebuild (went with Tarot brand to save money...the Tiger props are brutally expensive although so, so nice).  A little more probing confirmed this was not the case.  The number 1 motor is having sync issues.  https://www.dropbox.com/s/ux9uk5i2rx6dhro/2015-07-22%2017.08.05.mov...  The other motors are fine:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/fbcvza2d6ey83yl/2015-07-22%2017.08.28.mov...

What is very puzzling to me is it *only* has the sync issue when connected to the motor 1 output on the pixhawk.  If I simply move the ESC signal cable over to motor output 2 on the pixhawk it works fine (in my mind this rules out the ESC/motor combo).  To make things even more confusing moving ESC/motor 2 over to the pixhawk motor 1 output also works (so the problem does not necessarily follow the pixhawk port either).

At this point I assume the Pixhawk is somehow damaged (it was a pretty ugly crash from 250' and I am in no way blaming the Pixhawk...it should be dead not just flaky!) and am afraid to reuse it even though it seems swapping the #1 and #2 motor/ESC combos would actually work.

2015-07-22 17.08.05.mov
    Shared with Dropbox
  • Developer

As long as the Pixhawk outputs a proper clean PWM signal (it does, as shown many times by scoping the outputs) then any and all sync problem will be the result of a mismatch between the motor and the motor controller.. Period.

You guys are just rediscovering a well known problem that has always been there for as long as we have been using brushless motors without controller feedback in R/C vehicles. You can't just put a large propeller on a low KV motor and expect it to work. Most controllers (ESC) are configured from the factory to work with the most common range of motor KVs. So when you connect a large pancake motor with very low KV, of course there are problems with factory defaults. But that's why you adjust the controller motor timing to match the motor. End of problem..

• How do you adjust the timing?.

• Developer

Instructions should be included in the ESC manual.

This reply was deleted.