Hi guys,

I have a Tarot X6 960 with 3DR Pixhawk FCU.

Until now, I made 3D mapping and orthophoto with a DJI Phantom 3 Professional, post-processing the images in Pix4D.

I would buy a camera to do mainly 3D mapping and orthophoto with the Tarot X6.

I just sold a Panasonic GH4 (too heavy and focused on video) to have a lighter setup that I could match with a pair of MAPIR cameras for NDVI orthophotos.

About the camera, I'm looking at the Sony RX100 IV, the Sony a6300 with stock 16-50, the Sony QX1 or something different like a used Sony NEX.

My target is to have a good setup for my purposes. If I could also get some good video out of this new purchase, it wouldn't be bad...

Of course, the camera must be triggerable from the Pixhawk or anyway from remote, via Stratosnapper or any other method.

My budget is 800€ but I could add some hundreds to have a good and durable setup.

What do you suggest?

Thanks in advance.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Reading the DPReview.com review of the Sony RX100 IV, in particular at the following link, it's clear that both the a6000 and the a6300 (being APS-C and more focused on quality) have a much better sensor therefore image quality.

If you look at the green objects at bottom left or upper right, the details and incomparable between RX and "a" Series.

Also the corners are better, without any aberration.

This could be a decision making factor, despite the "a" series are bulkier and heavier.

I like the lightness, portability and video (and optical stabilisation) capability of the RX100 IV, though.

Help guys, help :)

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-cybershot-dsc-rx100-iv/14

• what about the sigma dp2 merill i was also looking into this one.

• Slow saving on memory, it's not for me.

• The new cameras these days don't want to get involved with GPS tracking/ tagging , probably because they,ve trended over to WIFI connectability.

Right now I'm trolling the pawn shops  looking for older Canon Powershots  S100 , Canon sx230 or olympus tg 870 . The Nikon Coolpix AW130  is modern option but the accuracy of the GPS is questionable.

• I'm using a X6 with with a6000 and sigma 19mm as the kit lens is not as sharp...

For a new build i'm looking into the the canon g9x or sony rx100 as it is lighter and got a fantastic lens.

The X6 gives me 20 min flight time with 20Ah. every gram counts, so maybe the a5100 is also an option.

Still not quite sure if i should drop the gimbal as well...

• I use a T960 with a Nex5 + 16mm which has been modified to have a wire soldered to the shutter button, and triggered with a relay from the pixhawk. Works much more reliably than an IR trigger, and can be triggered much quicker, and the nex5 is cheap and light. The 16mm lens isn't amazing, but works well enough.

• Thanks Glenn,

this is a good advice, it could be an option if I will rule out the video needs (actually I shoot videos mainly for hobby, but someone says that it's better to have 4K or slo-mo video features, than not).

This reply was deleted.