I took my new Pulsar H-8 Octocopter for a test flight tonight. I'm getting ready for more flights with the Nex5 camera, so I wanted to give it a bit of a shakedown run. For this flight it has a Contour camera mounted just for fun. Previous to this flight, some of the bearings sounded and felt a little iffy... and now we know why!
One of the motors failed and came apart in flight. It appears that when it came off, it actually hit another propeller, stopping it. The H-8 now had two adjacent props stopped which isn't good. It does a flip, but then miraculously recovers after the second motor re-starts. I've never seen a better example of Arducopter stability and fault tolerance. In the past, I've disabled motors by removing the props to test the performance, but it's just not the same as the real thing.