Developer

ArduCopter-3.0.1 released!

ArduCopter 3.0.1 has been released and is now available in the Mission Planner, firmware.diydrones.com, GitHub and the new Downloads Area.

Warning #1: Compass calibration and reducing interference is far more important than with 2.9.1b

Warning #2: GPS glitches can cause sudden and aggressive position changes while in loiter mode.  You may wish to reduce the Loiter PID P to 0.5 (from 1.0) to reduce aggressiveness (see image below of where this gain can be found in mission planner).

Warning #3: optical flow is not supported but will be back in the next release (AC-3.0.2 or AC-3.1.0).

Warning #4: loiter turns does not maintain altitude.  This bug will be fixed in AC-3.0.2.

Warning #5: This release has only been lightly tested on Traditional Helicopters.

Improvements over 2.9.1b include:

• Inertial Navigation for Loiter and Auto meaning much more accurate control (Randy,Leonard,JonathanC)
  • 3D navigation controller follows straight lines in all dimensions between waypoints (Leonard,Randy)

WPNAV_SPEED, WPNAV_SPEED_UP, WPNAV_SPEED_DN, WPNAV_ACCEL allows configuring speeds and acceleration during missions

• "compassmot" to compensate for interference on compass from the pdb, motors, ESCs and battery.  (Randy,JonathanC) (Set-up video here)
  • Safety improvements:
    • simple Tin Can shaped Geo Fence
    • pre-arm checks to ensure all calibration has been performed before arming (can be disabled by setting ARMING_CHECK to zero).  (video description here)
    • GPS failsafe - switches to LAND if GPS is lost for 5 seconds
    • stability patch improvements to stop rapid climbs in very overpowered or overtuned copters
  • Circle mode improvements including "panorama" when CIRCLE_RADIUS set to zero (Randy,Leonard)
  • SONAR_GAIN parameter added to allow better tuning of sonar surface tracking
  • CH8 auxiliary switch (same features as CH7)
  • works on PX4 (some minor features still not available) (Tridge,PatH)

How to upgrade:

1. Make sure you are using Mission Planner 1.2.59 or newer (get it here)

2. Click on the MissionPlanner's Hardware, Install Firmware screen.  The version numbers should appear as "ArduCopter-3.0.1", then click the appropriate frame icon and it should upgrade as per usual.

3. Reduce the Loiter and Alt Hold PIDs if you have modified them from the defaults.  The modified PID values for the 3DR frame can be seen in the image below.

Note: Nav parameters have been combined with Loiter so do not be concerned if you can't find them.

3691038784?profile=original

4. Although not directly related to this release, if you purchased an APM prior to March of 2013, update your PPM encoder to the latest firmware (instructions here).

5. Try out the new version in stabilize mode first, then alt-hold, then loiter and finally RTL and Auto.

Numerous How-To videos are available:

Special Thanks to MarcoDaveC and the large number of testers on the pre-release thread who put their copters at risk during the extended testing period.  Some of their videos can be found hereherehereherehere and here.  Thanks also to MichaelO for the MP changes required for this release.

All feedback welcome.  Please put your questions, comments (good and bad!) below.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I just wanted to give my own feedback on the new firmware 3.0.1.

I flashed my APM2.5 yesterday with 3.0.1 (just the Flash + radio calibration. The rest of the settings were still there (2.9.1).

I flew my quad (F450) + 5.8Ghz FPV

GPS lock (9sat)

ACC calibrated

compass calibrated (next to my notebook indoors) (like in the youtube video shown)

Bugs:

1:

At first there were some strange hick ups. The copter suddenly twitched 30° left and right. I was in panic and landed. I switched it off and on.

This time the twitching was gone.

Today the same happened again. Just the first time I had lift off. After a reboot there was nothing twitching.

2:

PH worked fine. After some flying time PH still worked fine, but switching to LOITER made the copter slowly land. I had to switch back to PH/Stabilize.

Same did happen in ALT hold just minutes later on the same + second lipo.

3:

RTL worked fine yesterday. Copter went up and flew home.

Today the copter flew up and flew home, but very, very slowly (yes, there was some wind but I guess the copter keeps a certain speed not angle)

4:

PH + Flying:

Usually I select PH and then fly around. This way whenever I panic I just stop steering and the copter holds Position.

Today the copter hold PH perfectly, but steering was nearly impossible. The copter moved so slowly even on full Nick. Switching to stabalize made a huge difference.

Are these bugs or did I forget to finetune settings?

• ok, I did look hard for an answer but couldn't find any -- Why is compass and interference negation so important now with 3.0+. And why is magnetic interference interfering ( :) ) with loiter.  It all used to work nicely in the pre 3 days. What I'm trying to understand is what changed and answer the question why is it now such a big deal.

Once again -- sorry if this was answered previously, I simply could not find it (and spend like an hour looking).

• I had a crash today with 3.0.1 using a 3dr Hexa 900kV motors with 10X3,8 props 8000mAh 3S. I did one known mistake: I added a CU plate under the GPS to get better GPS (had GPS jumps). GPS was fine but I forgot to check the compass ;-( . I did only fly in Stab mode when the problems began. Suddenly the Hexa rolls and pitchs falling in a tree. Maybe someone could assist what was the problem of the crash. I can´t believe that a compass issue could cause the crash (Problems begin at 95% of the log)

Regards

Gregor

2013-07-21 14-21-05.tlog

• If I downgrade to the 2.9.1b firmware, will the APM retain all my last calibrations (ACC, compass, compassmot, radio), or do I need to perform them all again?

Reason: I tried 3.0.1 today on my quadcopter that flew fine with 2.9.1b, reperformed all calibrations outdoors, but in loiter mode it starts toilet bowling badly. compassmot said my magnetic interference was 63%. There's no room for any more separation and my ESC is already a 4-in-1. My props are balanced and the RAW log indicates values of less than 1 for the X and Y axis, and 10 for the Z axis, i.e. all within limits. 

• Hey Randy, here is the log file from a test I just did. On this particular flight, you can see on the Gyro Z graph that there are two downward spikes soon after takeoff. These are where it yawed. After these two, which were about 90 degree yaws, It didn't do them as frequent, but still randomly did it, only about 5-10 degree rotations, sometimes left, sometimes right. If you happen to find anything on the tlog, if there is a way possible to do a google plus hangout or a skype call so I could see what you did, I would greatly appreciate it. I hate bugging other people and Im trying to learn this stuff so I know next time what to look for and how to interpret the log files. I really appreciate all you help.

3692779352?profile=original

2013-07-21 13-03-02.tlog

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3692779312?profile=original
  • Does ROI now work with MissionPlanner-1.2.61 ?

Regards, Peter

• Hi - I have a APM 2.5 on a DJI 450.  It was flying great on firmware 2.5.   I just upgraded to 3.0.1, re-calibrated the radio, accelerometers, changed the PIDs as instructed -

I can't even take off anymore.  It flips over as soon as it gets any throttle.  Both in regular armed mode and autotune mode.  The motors also seem to be more aggressive at low throttle.

Any ideas?

• I just try firmware 3.0.1 Today.

During RTL, I notice my quad not facing to home direction when coming back. It not like 2.9 version.

Can we make RTL function like 2.9 version? What parameter need to be change? I want my quad facing to home direction when RTL.

• So no redundancy on a quad?

Check this out.

http://www.ted.com/talks/raffaello_d_andrea_the_astounding_athletic...

This reply was deleted.

Activity