Developer

ArduCopter-3.0.1 released!

ArduCopter 3.0.1 has been released and is now available in the Mission Planner, firmware.diydrones.com, GitHub and the new Downloads Area.

Warning #1: Compass calibration and reducing interference is far more important than with 2.9.1b

Warning #2: GPS glitches can cause sudden and aggressive position changes while in loiter mode.  You may wish to reduce the Loiter PID P to 0.5 (from 1.0) to reduce aggressiveness (see image below of where this gain can be found in mission planner).

Warning #3: optical flow is not supported but will be back in the next release (AC-3.0.2 or AC-3.1.0).

Warning #4: loiter turns does not maintain altitude.  This bug will be fixed in AC-3.0.2.

Warning #5: This release has only been lightly tested on Traditional Helicopters.

Improvements over 2.9.1b include:

• Inertial Navigation for Loiter and Auto meaning much more accurate control (Randy,Leonard,JonathanC)
  • 3D navigation controller follows straight lines in all dimensions between waypoints (Leonard,Randy)

WPNAV_SPEED, WPNAV_SPEED_UP, WPNAV_SPEED_DN, WPNAV_ACCEL allows configuring speeds and acceleration during missions

• "compassmot" to compensate for interference on compass from the pdb, motors, ESCs and battery.  (Randy,JonathanC) (Set-up video here)
  • Safety improvements:
    • simple Tin Can shaped Geo Fence
    • pre-arm checks to ensure all calibration has been performed before arming (can be disabled by setting ARMING_CHECK to zero).  (video description here)
    • GPS failsafe - switches to LAND if GPS is lost for 5 seconds
    • stability patch improvements to stop rapid climbs in very overpowered or overtuned copters
  • Circle mode improvements including "panorama" when CIRCLE_RADIUS set to zero (Randy,Leonard)
  • SONAR_GAIN parameter added to allow better tuning of sonar surface tracking
  • CH8 auxiliary switch (same features as CH7)
  • works on PX4 (some minor features still not available) (Tridge,PatH)

How to upgrade:

1. Make sure you are using Mission Planner 1.2.59 or newer (get it here)

2. Click on the MissionPlanner's Hardware, Install Firmware screen.  The version numbers should appear as "ArduCopter-3.0.1", then click the appropriate frame icon and it should upgrade as per usual.

3. Reduce the Loiter and Alt Hold PIDs if you have modified them from the defaults.  The modified PID values for the 3DR frame can be seen in the image below.

Note: Nav parameters have been combined with Loiter so do not be concerned if you can't find them.

3691038784?profile=original

4. Although not directly related to this release, if you purchased an APM prior to March of 2013, update your PPM encoder to the latest firmware (instructions here).

5. Try out the new version in stabilize mode first, then alt-hold, then loiter and finally RTL and Auto.

Numerous How-To videos are available:

Special Thanks to MarcoDaveC and the large number of testers on the pre-release thread who put their copters at risk during the extended testing period.  Some of their videos can be found hereherehereherehere and here.  Thanks also to MichaelO for the MP changes required for this release.

All feedback welcome.  Please put your questions, comments (good and bad!) below.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Today, I still have test 3.1-rc1. It still very stable in Loiter and Guided. And, Armed in ALT Hold and Loiter is Ok. But, I think don't like motor spin when armed in Stabilize only. 

I have attach my logs.

2013-09-17 19-50 1.log

2013-09-17 19-57 3.log

2013-09-17 19-54 2.log

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3692832646?profile=original
  • Developer

Jay check that your HDOP value too.. HDOP 2 with just only 3 satellites is kinda impossible. Usually you start to get low HDOP values when you have 6-7 or more satellites connected. 

When you switch to loiter, does it lean forward everytime and no matter what is your real compass heading?

• Hi Dev team,

Pls. I need your help. I have APM 2.6 + GPS w/ compass. some specs: 20A ESC's (hobbywing), aerodrive sk3 2830-1130kv brushless motor, 9 x 4.5 props, 2200 11.1v lipo, & DIY frame.

I've got 11% compassmot reading.

I hover perfectly in stabilize mode, however when i flip it to loiter mode it lean forward and flyaway. What do you think causes the problem?

Is the reset or erase EEPROM will solve the problem?

Thank in advance.

j

• Flip over to the right and crash on takeoff

After many successful flights (just one weird issue of motors stopped in air 2 weeks a go) , today I was trimming the Hexa in garage with auto trim mode, and after that the hexa flew like a charm, no drift, flying almost with no hands (in garage). After that tried to fly outdoors (no wind at all), and in the takeoff the hexa flipped violently to the right breaking two props.
    Attached two logs, first from the indoors trimming flight, and the second log from the related crash.
    Any help is very appreciated, thanks.

P.s.: My APM is alimented by the esc bec, can be related with the problem?

2013-09-16 22-10 23.log

2013-09-16 22-10 24.log

• @Greham, this wil be fixed in 3.1, you can test is with rc1

Hi,

I got a turnigy 9x with opentx with ezuhf and connected by ppm op apm 2.5 by one wire for all channels
    al work great BUT when I switch off the sender I expect to get to following failsafe procedure
    http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/failsafe/#Operation_of_Failsafe_us...
    And most important for me is to get to get a value of 900 for channel 3 so I can configure a failsafe option.
     How can I set this up, and why is apm not doing its ppm-sum disconnect routine?
    My question related to 3.0.1 what are the requirements for failsafe detection by APM PPM sum encoder in combination with ezuhf?

Low battery level causes my onboard beeper to beep continuously since installing a volts/current sensor on APM2.5 with v3.0.1.

Is there a way to change this (or disable just this low battery beep) to a rapid pulse rather than the continuous beeeeeep which is actually inaudible when the motors are running?

• Had a full flying weekend. Saturday was all about doodling with droidplanner on my tablet on 3.0.1, today was 3.1-rc1 and tablet control.

Stabilise flight in 3.1 seems to make no difference to 3.0.1 bar two moments when I lost yaw authority. First time I was near a building so I slowly landed while spinning, second was a couple of hours and 4-5 packs later, in open field, and I flicked to loiter then back to stabilise and continued like nothing happened. Still, full-deflection rudder had no influence on yaw spin neither against or towards the motion. Couldn't recreate the situation afterwards, and no logs, 'cause my 2.0 says "no dataflash inserted".

Tablet control-wise, I need to RTFM a bit more, but I was hoping Follow will memorize and keep the distance from the moment it was activated instead of coming to hover ontop of my head. Land works OK, but there's some conflict between tablet and RC commands - it won't turn off motors and disarm if RC throttle is not at zero.

I'll run some more tests during the following week.

• Hi folks,

I has been a big fan of ArduCopter since APM 2.0 pre-order lot.

Today, I took my quad using APM2.0 with uBlox LEA6.0 run by fw v3.0.1 to take some pictures for my mentor's new house. While, I was trying to land at the height of about 10 meters, the quad flipped and crashed. Luckily, my new NEX 5 survived.

I checked the log file, but have no idea that was the cause.

Hope someone to find this problem.

Thanks,

Attachments:

2013-09-15 21-20 33.log

2013-09-15 21-20 33.kmz

2013-09-15 21-20 33.log.gpx

What will happen with COMPASS_LEARN as now with COMPASSMOT it seems obsolete? Or are there any plans to "fix" it?

• Hi,

trying 3.1 beta. Should yellow be always turn on ??

This reply was deleted.

Activity