Developer

ArduCopter-3.0.1 released!

ArduCopter 3.0.1 has been released and is now available in the Mission Planner, firmware.diydrones.com, GitHub and the new Downloads Area.

Warning #1: Compass calibration and reducing interference is far more important than with 2.9.1b

Warning #2: GPS glitches can cause sudden and aggressive position changes while in loiter mode.  You may wish to reduce the Loiter PID P to 0.5 (from 1.0) to reduce aggressiveness (see image below of where this gain can be found in mission planner).

Warning #3: optical flow is not supported but will be back in the next release (AC-3.0.2 or AC-3.1.0).

Warning #4: loiter turns does not maintain altitude.  This bug will be fixed in AC-3.0.2.

Warning #5: This release has only been lightly tested on Traditional Helicopters.

Improvements over 2.9.1b include:

• Inertial Navigation for Loiter and Auto meaning much more accurate control (Randy,Leonard,JonathanC)
  • 3D navigation controller follows straight lines in all dimensions between waypoints (Leonard,Randy)

WPNAV_SPEED, WPNAV_SPEED_UP, WPNAV_SPEED_DN, WPNAV_ACCEL allows configuring speeds and acceleration during missions

• "compassmot" to compensate for interference on compass from the pdb, motors, ESCs and battery.  (Randy,JonathanC) (Set-up video here)
  • Safety improvements:
    • simple Tin Can shaped Geo Fence
    • pre-arm checks to ensure all calibration has been performed before arming (can be disabled by setting ARMING_CHECK to zero).  (video description here)
    • GPS failsafe - switches to LAND if GPS is lost for 5 seconds
    • stability patch improvements to stop rapid climbs in very overpowered or overtuned copters
  • Circle mode improvements including "panorama" when CIRCLE_RADIUS set to zero (Randy,Leonard)
  • SONAR_GAIN parameter added to allow better tuning of sonar surface tracking
  • CH8 auxiliary switch (same features as CH7)
  • works on PX4 (some minor features still not available) (Tridge,PatH)

How to upgrade:

1. Make sure you are using Mission Planner 1.2.59 or newer (get it here)

2. Click on the MissionPlanner's Hardware, Install Firmware screen.  The version numbers should appear as "ArduCopter-3.0.1", then click the appropriate frame icon and it should upgrade as per usual.

3. Reduce the Loiter and Alt Hold PIDs if you have modified them from the defaults.  The modified PID values for the 3DR frame can be seen in the image below.

Note: Nav parameters have been combined with Loiter so do not be concerned if you can't find them.

3691038784?profile=original

4. Although not directly related to this release, if you purchased an APM prior to March of 2013, update your PPM encoder to the latest firmware (instructions here).

5. Try out the new version in stabilize mode first, then alt-hold, then loiter and finally RTL and Auto.

Numerous How-To videos are available:

Special Thanks to MarcoDaveC and the large number of testers on the pre-release thread who put their copters at risk during the extended testing period.  Some of their videos can be found hereherehereherehere and here.  Thanks also to MichaelO for the MP changes required for this release.

All feedback welcome.  Please put your questions, comments (good and bad!) below.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Here's the log wessie

2013-10-07 18-49 31.log

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3692851416?profile=original
  • Hi friends,

In this two last days for twice I lost some params leading to non flyable quad, bellow are the params I am losing, I am dealing in this moment with waypoints and chkd canon connected to A10 to trigger pictures, I have tried this setup lately and it flew perfect with no problem, does anybody have any Idea of what are causing this problem? I am losing only those parameters: 3692850893?profile=original

3692850447?profile=original

• Is it possible for someone to code "Auto Land" a an option for Channel 7 in the Mission Planner?  I feel this option should be there as an option.

Thanks

• Developer

ArduCopter-3.1-rc3 should appear in the mission planner's Beta Firmwares link in about 1 hour.  This release is primarily for the Pixhawk users because it resolves a somewhat serious issue with the SPI bus that could lead to corrupted values from the accelerometer.  There will be an -rc4 hopefully within a week which will include some CPU load efficiency gains to resolve the altitude hold performance especially for APM2 hexa and octo users.

Improvements over 3.1-rc2:
    1) GPS Glitch protection - gps positions are compared with the previous gps position.  Position accepted if within 10m or copter could have reached the position with max accel of 10m/s/s.
    2) Bug fix for pixhawk SPI bus contention that could lead to corrupted accelerometer values on pixhawk resolved
    3) Auto Tuning (compile time option only add "#define AUTOTUNE ENABLED" to APM_Config.h and set CH7_Opt or CH8_Opt parameter to 17)
    4) CPU Performance improvement when reading from MPU6k for APM
    5) SUPER_SIMPLE parameter changed to a bit map to allow some flight modes to use super simpler while others use regular simple (MP release to allow easier selection will go out with AC3.1 official release)
    6) Safety changes:
        a) safety button must be pushed before arming on pixhawk
        b) RGB LED (aka toshiba led) changed so that disarmed flashes, armed is either blue (if no gps lock) or green (if gps lock)
        c) sensor health bitmask sent to groundstations

• WHAT HAPPEN TO MY F***ING MAG OFFSET??

ARDUCOPTER 3.0.1.RC2

I buy another APM,, (after Bad CRASH with my first APM, my stupidity) ,, at First time, I open from plastic/box,, The APM without any Soldering And Case, I calibrated the Compas,,  I get good offset X, Y, and Z is about 0 until 20 each axis

(i'm so Happy, Due to recommended is -150 until 150 ) ^_^

I don't know why,, when I place APM in My hexa tarot 680 (AFTER soldering , Casing, Plug every Cable) ,,calibrate compass ,, the Y and Z axis become 100 until 120,, but X axis is still good ,, about 2 until 20 

after that,, I took of again the APM fromThe Hexa Frame,,calibrate compass,, The value x is still better :) ,,

BUT Y and Z is still not looking good for me, is about 90 until 99,, :(

THATS MEAN THERE is Something Efeccting THE COMPASS,, AND the VALUE NOT SAME ANY MORE or maybe Getting WORSE??? T_T

I'm curious is coz by when I Building the APM At first time,, maybe when I Soldering????..

BUT MOST curious is When I realize That my SCREWDRIVER is Very Affecting My compass,,I can SEE In mission Planner,,Rotate suddenly About 180 Degree,, when I Thigting the APM to my hexa Frame

After That,, I'm Scare if I use a screwdriver with Magnetic Materialllll ..Specially TO CLOSED TO APM

Is there Any Chance ? So I can change the value, back To first I open from Plasticcc/box??

*JUST info,, MY hexa a Is flying great For me Now,, with EVERY MODE ^_^"

my MAGFIELD is still good 299 until 360,, mostly 330 ^_^

,,But Now I'm WORRY ABOUT MAG OFFSET  :(

SEE the picture of screwdriver!!!

THANKS,,,

This post has been edited to conform to the TOS. TCIII Admin

Screen Shot 2013-10-09 at 7.26.06 AM.png

• Hello!

Today i fly with my new Hexa X.

Now i see problem in mission same as: http://diydrones.com/xn/detail/705844:Comment:1330767

(small time for turn more) But now RTL_LOIT_TIME is 5000.

Than is this??? Please see my log and help.

2013-10-08 18-49-32.tlog

• Hello!

I have this mag: http://www.goodluckbuy.com/gy-282-hmc5983-high-precision-triaxial-c...

but I don't know how to install it :( I have conected trought i2c port but now I don't know to continue with the installation.

I tried to calibrate with live calibrate but I obtain the message: "log does not contain enough data" and if i try to do the compassmot: "compass not healthy"

Please can you help me?

Sorry for my english.

Best Regards.

• Hi Randy,

Can you have a look at the attached log file please. My hex does not appear to respond to any of the stick movements apart throttle which works as expected. The hex hovers for a few yards and then flips. I appear to have no control of in pitch, roll or yaw?

Set up as follows:

DJR 550 frame

V3.0.01

Hex +

6 x 1000 kV motors

10 x 4.5 props

4S 2600 LiPo

I have attached log files - being new to this I am not sure which you need?

Hope you can help.

Regards

Barry Cooper

2013-10-08 10-31 2.log

2013-10-08 10-31 2.kmz

2013-10-08 10-31 2.log.gpx

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3692849532?profile=original
  • I had a sudden uncommanded yaw for a couple rotations in Alt Hold Mode on my Tricopter today which gave me quite a scare, especially since it was a demo with spectators watching. The rest of the flight continued normally. Can anyone provide any clues as to what might have caused this?

Thank you.

3692849513?profile=original

2013-10-07 14-26 4 Tricopter yaw spin.log

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3692849526?profile=original
  • Randy,

On the Fence, I read the Wiki here

http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/ac2_simple_geofence/

and watched the Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDnGdo54o-4

But I did not 'see' where its mentioned if the fence is ignored in Auto or not, i.e. can I fly in Auto and it will ignore Fence.   Also if so and I am in Auto and I was past the second fence(+20 meters outside first fence) and I changed to Stabilized would it land or better yet try to come back home first?

I also don't see RTL Altitude mentioned so not sure what that does.

Thanks guys, this is cool.

This reply was deleted.

Activity