Reach RTK vs Piksi?

Hello,

I've been reading lots of forums and posts out there about RTK, affordable equipment like Reach RTK and Piksi, but Piksi seems it requires lots of configuration and according to some posts lots of things could go wrong, and as for the Reach RTK, and I haven't found much, in fact I haven't found any videos of people using them, they both claim to integrate with Pixhawk, but has anyone test them?, similar? or cheaper?, and specially on Rovers?

http://store.swiftnav.com/s.nl/it.A/id.4216/.f

http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/affordable-new-rtk-gps-designed-for-pixhawk-apm

https://emlid.com/shop/reach-rtk-kit/

3691312691?profile=original

I'm sorry if this question was already answered but I'm researching before buying anything.

Thanks.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Theoretically, you should be able to eavesdrop on the SD card starting to write. On the first "data clock" + "write" signal or so. It starts some millisecond after the picture is taken, but it should of course be possible to compensate for in the software (back log position the same amount of microseconds).

Handy cable from Ebay for 3USD will help you:
    s-l1600.jpg?width=600

• thank you for your reply @kiki boy

1. Please share your experience with Reach.

2. Thank you, so drotek is out.

3. Reach can be used in PPK mode, right? What accuracy (x,y & z) do you get with no GCPs and just the recorded feedback of the camera?

4. I had similar solution in mind to hard hack the A5100 and use shutter motor output. There is also one more way I am thinking to get feedback without tearing down the A5100. Can optical slave trigger be used to detect the flash and record the trigger event? I don't think it will add much more of the delay to the system. Please let me know your thoughts about this.

Are there any other RTK/PPK solutions out there which can record camera trigger and are plug and play?

The base station requires exact centimeter level location data which then translates to the rover. How do you get the precise GPS coordinates when there is none available before? Which hardware/model do you use? How long does it take to lock survey grade GPS location?

thanks again

kiki boy said:

1. Get Reach

2. No camera feedback port on drotek and more heavy than reach

3. PPK is the way for mapping. You don't need precise vehicule location but precise camera feedback

4. Same as QX1, no feedback until you hard hack it => https://community.emlid.com/t/hacking-the-sony-qx1-for-output-trigg...

• electrolics inc said:

I was willing to buy the Reach RTK, and I am quite new to these RTK and PPKs. To bad these are not fully workable with pixhawk. Really interested to know more about it rather than spending a lot of time an money.

Questions on my mind:

1. Which cost effective solution to get then?

2. What about the Drotek one? Is it better then the both Reach and Piksi?

3. Any other PPK or RTK solution out there?

4. Not exactly relevant but is there a way to get feedback from Sony A5100? There is no hot shoe on it.

TIA

look into a M8P plattform like drotek

• Shutter lag is always present in any camera. If you use autofocus and other metering (shoot full manual to avoid this) it even adds more delay from the trigger pulse to the actual taken photo. Without feedback you won't be able to measure the "exact" moment. A whole other story is to calibrate everything up to sub cm precision as x y z offset from camera sensor to gps antenna and ofc accurate acc data to measure the exact heading...

too much for a "hobby grade" implementation IMHO.

• Why do you need feedback from the camera? Is it not enough to know GPS + Compass + acc data when you trigger the camera?

• Super interesting questions by @electrolics.

+1 here

• 1. Get Reach

2. No camera feedback port on drotek and more heavy than reach

3. PPK is the way for mapping. You don't need precise vehicule location but precise camera feedback

4. Same as QX1, no feedback until you hard hack it => https://community.emlid.com/t/hacking-the-sony-qx1-for-output-trigg...

Hacking the Sony Qx1 for output trigger/ external flash
    Successfully triggering the Reach with a Sony Qx1 Test harness. Red plug coming from hacked Qx1 into Optoisolator. Input has a diode/led to elimin…
  • I was willing to buy the Reach RTK, and I am quite new to these RTK and PPKs. To bad these are not fully workable with pixhawk. Really interested to know more about it rather than spending a lot of time an money.

Questions on my mind:

1. Which cost effective solution to get then?

2. What about the Drotek one? Is it better then the both Reach and Piksi?

3. Any other PPK or RTK solution out there?

4. Not exactly relevant but is there a way to get feedback from Sony A5100? There is no hot shoe on it.

TIA

• Yes, but how stably?

Hans H. said:

raspberry pi rtk?

• raspberry pi rtk?

This reply was deleted.

Activity