What do I need to start

Hi All,

I am very new to all these and do videography, I want to start making my own Hexacopter from scratch, can you guys guide me through it please?

What do I need? I have already purchased a frame on eBay and waiting for it to arrive, I want to build one with GPS and hopefully autopilot, etc. can you please tell me what are the part s I need and where should I get them, etc.

This is the frame that I have bought, should I buy the main board, motors, transmitter etc from them as well for from other sources;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151004715481?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Cheers

Mitchell

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Buy your stuff from 3D robotics they are awesome

• Hi to all on here. I too am in the same boat, and am coming into this as a geographer with a strong RS/GIS background, but not strong in engineering. I have a friend who is quite good with electronics helping me out with my build of a arducopter Hexacopter kit, but in my research on all these terms, I cannot find much on why you would go with a APM 2.5 with cables entering in from the side vs. one where cables enter from the top. 

I plan on using this to mount cameras, using a camera modified to shoot Near IR, so I'm looking for stability and longevity in the air. My research shows I should go with the 3S for motor/battery, but without seeing a comparison of side mount vs. top for the cables on the APM 2.5, I have no idea which configuration to go with. Any comments or thoughts?

• Hi Michael,

I think I live near you. I am North Sydney.

I have spent the few months building a couple of quads. There is a lot to learn.
    I was considering using building a hexa but don't really have a need for one now.

I would be happy to show you what I've learnt.

PM me if you are interested.

• hi ,I sounds to me your jumping in at the deep end .

why not get a cheap $20 quad  frame 4cheap esc and motors and naza lite  along with radio

(I would still get a good radio set ).Learn to fly  ,keep reading the forums here and once happy with

your flying and safety .Move on to  your Tarot .

I say this not to discourage you but help you stay interested in the hobby .because if you smashed up the tarot with camera

APM etc (and you will crash!!) its a lot of money to replace.

Anyway which ever way you go good luck

• Hey Mitchell-

I got started with 'drones' not too long ago. I remember the first time visiting this site - everything was so overwhelming. GPS, APM, PDB, Mission Planner, ESCs, PID. I didn't have a clue what any of this meant. I did a LOT of reading, mostly here, and feel like I have enough knowledge to make this a fun hobby. I wanted to build my own and understand what everything did, so I bought the 3DR Arducopter Quad kit. I had a few minor issues putting it together, mostly from not understanding the terminology in the instructions. I was able to get it built, complete with GPS and telemetry and was amazed at how cool this thing is. Added a camera and saw my flight times decrease, so bought a hex kit. This one went together very smoothly and flies great.

With that said, I still have lots and lots of questions that I'm looking for answers for. I try to find them here, then check Google, then return here and ask if I can't find the answer. Although some questions i just don't ask because they seem so elementary ;)

Good luck, and like some of the previous posts mentioned, just remember you get what you pay for...

Just my $0.02.

• Sorry,

These two then

ArduCopter ESC 20 Amp (from 3D Robotics)

Turnigy Multistar 20 Amp Multi-rotor Brushless ESC 2-4S

and what about the battery,

s2 or s3 one?

Do I need any thing else too, so I can order the same time, I do not want to wait 4 more weeks for the rest!

Thanks

• T3
    Get the telemetry. It's handy if your copter flys away, you can find it.
  • That Frame Looks Awesome! You can get most of the other parts form 3D Robotics Store:

- HEXA Power Distribution board 

-6X 20 amp ESC

-6X 880KV Motors

-APM 2.5 + Set

-telemetry if u need it

FROM OTHER STORES (HOBBY-KING)

-Flight Batery

RC Gear (remote and receiver)

This reply was deleted.

Activity

DIY Robocars via Twitter
7 hours ago
DIY Robocars via Twitter
8 hours ago
DIY Robocars via Twitter
RT @breadcentric: Bingo card for AWS DeepRacer Finale, starting in 10 minutes on https://www.twitch.tv/aws ! #AWSDeepRacer #DeepRacer #Machin…
11 hours ago
DIY Robocars via Twitter
RT @NVIDIAEmbedded: It's #NanoFriday - the RB-0 uses the same suspension concept as #NASA's newer differential-bar rovers. This educational…
11 hours ago
DIY Robocars via Twitter
RT @chr1sa: On May 22, we're returning to in-person AI @DIYRobocar racing at @circuitlaunch. The Amazon @awscloud DeepRacer team will be pr…
Wednesday
DIY Robocars via Twitter
RT @breadcentric: On my CV: Hobbies: Training bananas to race on tracks #AWSDeepRacer #DeepRacer https://t.co/MKe14hNyux
Wednesday
DIY Robocars via Twitter
RT @breadcentric: See how the April AWS DeepRacer races have ended and a couple bits of news: https://blog.deepracing.io/2021/05/09/aws-deepracer-league-2021-update-11-end-of-april-special/ #AWSDeepRacer #Machin…
Monday
DIY Robocars via Twitter
RT @sunilmallya: Representation Learning +Instance Transfer to learn new reward functions along with advantage based filtering of new exper…
Monday
DIY Robocars via Twitter
Apr 27
DIY Robocars via Twitter
Apr 27
DIY Robocars via Twitter
RT @f1tenth: Sliding (autonomously) into the weekend like ... 🤖😎 #f1tenth #robots #AutonomousVehicles @OpenRoboticsOrg @NVIDIAEmbedded @Aut…
Apr 25
DIY Robocars via Twitter
RT @chr1sa: One of the problems with autonomous car racing is that watching software drive is not a very exciting spectator sport. To help…
Apr 25
DIY Robocars via Twitter
RT @SmallpixelCar: Replaced AGX Xavier with @NVIDIAEmbedded Jetson Xavier NX. Now both cars look fast and clean https://t.co/jlcoY2EjZf
Apr 25
DIY Robocars via Twitter
RT @chr1sa: Yesterday we had a record number of competitors (36) in our monthly @DIYRobocars virtual autonomous car race. We kept it going…
Apr 25
DIY Robocars via Twitter
Apr 16
DIY Drones via Twitter
RT @chr1sa: After more than a year of only virtual races, @DIYRobocars returns to the newly renovated @circuitlaunch on May 22 for the resu…
Apr 11
More…