Developer

What is Pixhawk 2?

www.pixhawk2.comPixhawk 2 is a small cube, with a 38.5mm square footprint.All connection to the cube is via a DF17 connector coming out the bottom of the cube.This modularity allows for multiple form factors to suit multiple platforms.For the stand alone market, it will be coming out in two form factors to start with, a "Full" configuration, and a "mini" configuration. The full will have connectors for everything, the kitchen sink.... While the mini is restricted to the bare essentials.For RTF's or kit aircraft, I am working on a series of plug and fly systems, that allow you to remove most of your wiring from your aircraft, and take advantage of the easy to use modular structure.The cube also has a massive quality advantage. Given that every single pin is available on the DF17 connection on the base, it allows complete factory full motion testing and calibration of each cube.Pixhawk 2 is continuing to grow. When we release the Pixhawk 2 stand alone, it will be using the latest sensors available on the market, in a form factor that allows the ultimate in flexibility.Please note. Pixhawk 2 Stand alone is NOT a 3DR product. It is a community driven product, designed by the community for the community.A key requirement for my partner companies who will be making this will be active support of the community.Looking forward to announcing more info soon!Philip RowseLead Systems EngineerProfiCNCLead EE on Pixhawk 2 PX4 and Ardupilot Dev team member(formally 3DR sponsored)

image.jpeg

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Developer
      I think it would be great if 3DR could answer that question, but at this stage there is no public information available on what 3DR wish to release.

What I will say, is that Pixhawk 2 offers an opportunity for commercial users that has never existed beforehand. The temperature stabilised and Vibration isolated IMU along with the improvements to servo drive capability, with a choice of carrier boards to suit different applications.

I would love some information to be released on this open project, and welcome choice to the market.
    • Developer

Thanks Philip,

"temperature stabilised and Vibration isolated IMU"  is just what i wanted from my next FC :)

Good job, count me in!

• Philip, 

Congratulations on your efforts to keep the development happening.  We will be releasing our first two aircraft this year and are very excited that there will be the opportunity to have the next stage of Pixhawk available. 

Anything we can do to contribute, please let me know. I have send you a friend request.

Joe

• I'm trying to get all this version crap straight...but the fragmentation is killing me.  For instance, on this page: http://dev.px4.io/tutorial-hello-sky.html it references pixhawk v1/2 and v3

• Pixhawk v1/2: make px4fmu-v2_default upload
    • Pixhawk v3: make px4fmu-v4_default upload

...but the Pixhawk2 isn't a thing at this point.  Maybe v1/2 refers to the original PX4 hardware and v3 refers to the Pixhawk (but then why in the world is the file called "-v4"...)?

Can anyone shed some light on the interactions between the firmware naming conventions and the hardware they're supposed to be built for?  Given the amount of legacy naming confusion...maybe it's time to distance the hardware from the Pixhawk name to actually differentiate it?  I mean...what's the firmware binary for the Pixhawk2 going to called, Pixhawk v5?  Yeah...that's intuitive... :)

Redirecting... Page moved
    • Developer
      When we designed Pixhawk 2, we ported all changes to make the FMUv2 code be 100% compatible with Pixhawk 1 and 2

FMU refers to a system compatibility, nothing more.

Pixhawk 2 has existed an has been flying in multiple vehicles from late 2014.

FMU v4 is what runs on the PixRacer, both are up to date, but they are different.

So the FMUv series is just a software thing.

Ardupilot runs on all of them.

It really comes down to this... When you plug your Pixhawk 2 into mission planner, it uploads the correct firmware.

PixRacer used different pin mapping, so needed a different px4 layer.

And there is more to come...

Px4 first version was FMUv1, Pixhawk 1 FMUv2, Pixhawk 2 we updated FMUv2 to be compatible with both, and scrapped FMUv3, PixRacer remapped a lot of things to get rid of the io redundancy, and became FMUv4, FMUv5 will most likely be the Pixhawk 2+, or that could be the FMUv16, it doesn't matter. And is not important.
    • Admin

@Matt,

You really should be posting here as this Group is strictly for the Pixhawk2.

Regards,

TCIII AVD

• Very excited to see how we can migrate the FC of our existing DIYDrones quad frames and IRIS+ frames to support the Pixhawk 2, also if there will be recommended quad frames for those entering this hobby. Very cool! :D

• Developer
      I have an iris running a Pixhawk 2, runs well :)
    • Glad to hear that my IRIS+ and X8+ will be able to be re-brained :D

This reply was deleted.