Flight mode confirmation???

I need to know about confirmed operation....

In other words.... When I switch flight modes, How do I Know if it actually does????

My Taranis is telling my it's changing but I would like some kind of feed back from the model that the mode I select is armed....

Is this possible?

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi David

If you are flying with Pixhawk and Taranis plus this is a great Telemetry addition, It uses Mavlink data and displays and announces flight modes, bat volts etc.

http://www.craftandtheoryllc.com/frsky-telemetry-cable-and-user-int...

Cost effective too.

• I can vouch for that product.  I've been using one for several months now and it works like a charm.

• +1 for the Craft and Theory cable and Taranis screens/scripts

• Did you confirm operations in MP when you setup your flight modes?
    Also pixhawk will beep when flight modes are changed and MP will also give you audio and visual confirmation.
    • When the drone is 1 km or 500m away, you cannot listen the beeps, so I simply do not have beeper installed.

When controlling distant aircraft, you do not have time - and is really dangerous to look at any screen. I use only the Taranis audio for all needed info. Wear earphones all the time, to have clear sound.

• That is exactly why I used a ground radio connected to my smartphone.

At the time I was using a Fly Sky TH9X with a FrSky XJT TX module and an X8R receiver.  I modded the TH9X so I could attach a Walkera Type B phone holder to the antenna stub.

I used a short OTG cable to connect the 3DR radio to my phone and tucked it between the holder and the TH9X.  Later on I added an FPV monitor and I attached the 3DR to the sunshade.

With the phone in the holder I got audible alerts for flight mode changes, battery percentage, armed and disarmed alerts, and GPS lock alerts.

20150901_120522.jpg

• I can understand that for your application.

For professional use, we trying to reduce the number of devices, to make the operation more planned and predictable. Less devices, less batteries to charge, less cable and connectors, that can be tangled and broken during the operation.

For the pilot is most important to have prompt feedback for the mode, battery, RSSI and height.

Taranis can provide that immediately using the MavLink.

For example last week we had to film in difficult terrain between wires, trees downhill. In that situation you must know the quality of the control signal, as it changes every second. Taranis telemetry link has less power and coverage than the control link. When listen to that, you can hear " telemetry lost", but you still have control. So you have enough time to ascend or move side, and restore the proper communication.

Using Mavlink, you have more confident operation, knowing and feeling very well the current situation.

The telemetry radio is very good for setup and second, redundancy link - standby tablet or phone. In some complicated situations I have laptop with joystick, capable to regain control if main control fails.

• I use 3DR telemetry radios.

You can connect the ground radio to a laptop and run Mission Planner, or you can connect it to an OTG enabled android device like a smartphone and run Tower

• Telemetry radios do have different role. To look on second, side positioned screen and check the critical information sometimes is non possible, even dangerous for the pilot.

It is best to have all inside the Taranis screen and audio reports. You can have info in programmable audio reports and warnings - flight modes, height info, battery info, etc.

The telemetry radios are good for second, redundancy link and for the auto programming.

• Why not use logical switches and wav files?

I use the S3 switch with voice confirmation.

This reply was deleted.