PIXHAWK armed but motors do not spin

I am able to arm the Pixhawk both through telemetry and transmitter - the diode is solid green and pre arm check is successful. Unfortunately motors do not respond to throttle and do not spin at all.

Things I tried:

- I have calibrated my RC and ensured that throttle is not reversed. Pixhawk is interpreting signals correctly.

- I have performed ESC calibration by connecting each ESC directly to the receiver PWM (I did not use pixhawk all at once calibration because for some reason it did not work for me). 

- I have connected the motors directly to the receivers PWM and motor responded correctly.

- I tried Motor Test feature in Mission Planner, but motors did not respond to any throttle level. 

- I noted that Pixhawk does not beep after safety button press  (button turns solid red tough as expected).

I have no idea how to proceed. Do you have any suggestions?

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hye dear. same problem faced. Just check SERVO9_FUNCTION in full parameter list set 33
    servo10 - 34
    servo11-35
    servo12-36

I think your [robem will be solved

• i've read your thread and i've the same problem, after all this time have you solved? I really don't know what to do.

• Have you checked the throttle settings in full parameters?  I have read in the wicki (cant find it now) that the max throttle default setting is way to low and requires you to set a much higher value, perhaps the setting is to low to start your motors.

I'll check later and see if I can be more specific.

Also, I would be uncomfortable if the ESC's wont calibrate in the "all at once" method with the pixhawk and your radio, if you can solve that problem then I bet you will have some success. 

• What firmware are you running on the ESCs?

• Hi Tomek, since you have almost checked all the possible causes, my wild guess is to increase the capacity of each ESC. Say, from 30A to 40A (or 50 A). Hope it helps.

• 1) Does all of your ESCs have a built in BEC? If they do, make sure to disconnect the positive wire and only leave the signal and ground wires connected. You must only have one BEC connected the output rail at all times.

2) Have you checked the log files, for any warnings or error messages?

3) Make sure all motor wires are soldered.

4) Check all the connectors to/from the FC and make sure, the polarity is not reversed.

5) I don't think, getting a high rated ESC will make much of a different. In terms of getting the motors to spin, unless the ESC are faulty which is rare but could happen.

• Lol, I think I know what's your problem :) signal pin on the pixhawk is on the bottom row, check if you plugged your ESCs correctly. One of the people I built a copter for did the same mistake during maintnance, took me 2hour drive trip to figure that one out :D 

• !!!

THANK YOU.

I've been banging my head against a wall for a couple of hours... stumbled on your post while reading out of utter frustration... face palmed... went back to the bench and, viola...

Plug in them motors the right way, and they work much much better. I feel like an idiot. 

Cheers

• Thank you for your reply. I checked it and even tried both ways to make sure, did not work. Also motors don't beep while connected to signal output so there must be some kind of zero throttle signal there.

• ESC should beep at power on even if there is no PWM.  Are you sure they're getting power?

This reply was deleted.