Pixhawk connectors

On last days I listen some comments from APM-Pikhawk users about vulnerable wires and connectors for GPS, RM, etc. on my oun, I experienced failed gps wires from new (original) and RM one with some flying time and saw others with "NO GPS" problems, the first I said, try with another wires and was the solution; an other thing, they are difficult to unplug specially for men, many of them unpluged from the wires to add more risk  (I uses the nails ;)) .

3DR guys, Isn't possible to think on another better plug system for newer Pixhawk vers?

(It's only a little suggestion to have a better harware day to day, I begun with APM2.0 and never other harware problem, big quality products.:) .Many Thank's

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 3D Robotics

You'll all be pleased to know that with Pixhawk 2, we've upgraded to Molex Clik Mate connectors. Super easy to remove and very secure.  Out with PH2 this summer. 

• That a great idea.  Will see how it holds up to abuse (ie., multiple plugging and unplugging).  Still better than current designs.

On a separate discussion.  Is there anything published on PH2 aside from the teasers you and 3DR have mentioned and put out on your new UAV?

• Good evening Chris.

I'm sure you have seen dropix from Drotek and their "solid" connectors. Just curious: Why is it you select so small ones which leads to minuscule wire size (easily broken) and for no real advantage of any kind? (Weight perhaps?)

Please let me know.

Kind regards

Henri

• Advantage ? Anti Vibration Mount. Although I´m a DF13 / Molex hater as well (I even would prefer JST-SH) , the PX Vibration Mount gets inefficient using thicker wires usually coming with servo plugs. At my AUAV-X2, I m using as replacement, since my out of warranty 3DR PX died, I had to replace all wires @ servo plugs with very thin soft, silicon types to achieve low vibs.

Since the PX2 is supposed to come with internally damped IMU this won´t be a topic anymore.

Btw. any official Infos about the PX2 so far ?

• All new connectors means all new peripherals, right? ;) 

• Definitivelly horrible connectors, today I discover a problem with red wire from power module to APM in the APM side, fortunetly the copter was on ground, for a moment ESC becomes beep beep, I look the APM and it was off, I move the red wire and becomes to work again; the copter life depends from that little vulnerable wire, mmm..... I'm not shure if not return to old esc powered or a bec perhaps? ideas?.

• That's the same issue I encountered. The connector is not going in all the way, and you can't see that because the PCB inside the case gets pushed down slightly when you try plugging the power in. I ended up having to cut the APM's plastic case around the power socket in order to make sure that it plugs in properly.

• Although I agree with you concerning the Ublox that you mention (This one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ublox-NEO-M8N-GPS-Module-W-Compass-GPS-Hold... ) Is much nicer because of the cables being wrapped in a heat shrink tubing..... (You can do bascially the same thing buy just unplugging the pins from the Plug and then putting them through heat shrink and reconnecting the Plugs)

But the fact is you still have Df13 connectors at the end and they will still fail if you tug on them. I have found that if you simply put some CY glue (or something close) and simply put some glue right where they go in the plug, you can greatly increase the chance of a wire pulling out over time. I still think having them in tubing is a better idea for routing them and even provides  some minor shielding properties.

I also think simply removing the locking mechanism and then adding a touch of hot glue to the connector and the pixhwak once you make sure everything is routed is a good idea because the hot glue will easily come of later if you need to change things around while also again preventing both the plug and wires from pulling out....BUT I would add some CY glue first and let it dry as  well first since that pretty much prevents wires from pulling out, plus as I said as long as you check to make sure the wires are in there proper place and everything is working before gluing that you will not need to later pull those pins out anyways.  Also if you have JST connectors then a dab of hot glue is a neccesity.......But if you are already comfortable enough to switch to new pins and pin headers then you've already done quite a bit.

Finally simply using a small standard screw drivers to pop them out I think is a no brainer. I mean don't get me wrong, I can see why changed connectors.....but still I think that they went a little overboard. I mean things like Telemetry, Power, GPS and MAgnotometer, Buzzer, Button, Light, ETC is a good idea, I still think that they should have stuck with pins for thinks like sonar and other analog inputs.

I will admit some Bias since I think that semi-Proprietary plugs for an open source project is kind of abandoning its roots.But I can still see the advantages for allot of the plugs that are just easier that way. That said I think they went a little overboard.

Finall is anybody actually using JST connectors? IF so for what connections and how well does that work? One thing is for sure, The days of pulling on cable wires to unseat a connector are fading.....And while that may be good for some connectors, I still believe its not benefical for All. My advice? get used to ALWAYS using a Standard screw driver or the like for unseating DF pin headers.

• Totally agree. I've had issues with my Pixhawk's power connector, which would cause my entire machine to power off unexpectedly. It turned out that the plug itself was loose, and no matter how hard I pushed it in, it wouldn't plug into the socket properly. I had to cut the plastic case around the power socket in order to get it to plug in properly.

• I posted my concerns and suggestions for DF13 connectors at Pixhawk Details #2: Multicolor led and connector demo page.

I've damaged too many cables and connectors and feel this design needs improvements for ease of installing and removing DF13 cable plugs.

This reply was deleted.