Developer

ArduCopter-3.0.1 released!

ArduCopter 3.0.1 has been released and is now available in the Mission Planner, firmware.diydrones.com, GitHub and the new Downloads Area.

Warning #1: Compass calibration and reducing interference is far more important than with 2.9.1b

Warning #2: GPS glitches can cause sudden and aggressive position changes while in loiter mode.  You may wish to reduce the Loiter PID P to 0.5 (from 1.0) to reduce aggressiveness (see image below of where this gain can be found in mission planner).

Warning #3: optical flow is not supported but will be back in the next release (AC-3.0.2 or AC-3.1.0).

Warning #4: loiter turns does not maintain altitude.  This bug will be fixed in AC-3.0.2.

Warning #5: This release has only been lightly tested on Traditional Helicopters.

Improvements over 2.9.1b include:

• Inertial Navigation for Loiter and Auto meaning much more accurate control (Randy,Leonard,JonathanC)
  • 3D navigation controller follows straight lines in all dimensions between waypoints (Leonard,Randy)

WPNAV_SPEED, WPNAV_SPEED_UP, WPNAV_SPEED_DN, WPNAV_ACCEL allows configuring speeds and acceleration during missions

• "compassmot" to compensate for interference on compass from the pdb, motors, ESCs and battery.  (Randy,JonathanC) (Set-up video here)
  • Safety improvements:
    • simple Tin Can shaped Geo Fence
    • pre-arm checks to ensure all calibration has been performed before arming (can be disabled by setting ARMING_CHECK to zero).  (video description here)
    • GPS failsafe - switches to LAND if GPS is lost for 5 seconds
    • stability patch improvements to stop rapid climbs in very overpowered or overtuned copters
  • Circle mode improvements including "panorama" when CIRCLE_RADIUS set to zero (Randy,Leonard)
  • SONAR_GAIN parameter added to allow better tuning of sonar surface tracking
  • CH8 auxiliary switch (same features as CH7)
  • works on PX4 (some minor features still not available) (Tridge,PatH)

How to upgrade:

1. Make sure you are using Mission Planner 1.2.59 or newer (get it here)

2. Click on the MissionPlanner's Hardware, Install Firmware screen.  The version numbers should appear as "ArduCopter-3.0.1", then click the appropriate frame icon and it should upgrade as per usual.

3. Reduce the Loiter and Alt Hold PIDs if you have modified them from the defaults.  The modified PID values for the 3DR frame can be seen in the image below.

Note: Nav parameters have been combined with Loiter so do not be concerned if you can't find them.

3691038784?profile=original

4. Although not directly related to this release, if you purchased an APM prior to March of 2013, update your PPM encoder to the latest firmware (instructions here).

5. Try out the new version in stabilize mode first, then alt-hold, then loiter and finally RTL and Auto.

Numerous How-To videos are available:

Special Thanks to MarcoDaveC and the large number of testers on the pre-release thread who put their copters at risk during the extended testing period.  Some of their videos can be found hereherehereherehere and here.  Thanks also to MichaelO for the MP changes required for this release.

All feedback welcome.  Please put your questions, comments (good and bad!) below.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi folks

I noticed that the vcc monitoring with the 3dr power module is not very stable and approx 1v to high (3s) .

There is no manual volt adjustment tool anymore, so I reduced the voltage divider to 9 and now it's almost perfect at 12.6 for a full battery. Is this the correct solution or is there another parameter?

I'm quite sure that this problem had been discussed but I couldn't find it anywhere. 

thanks

andreas

• Hi Guys,
    Today I had Loiter fails with Arducopter 3.0.1 on my Hexa - MK3638 Motors - APC12x3.8 - kit APM 2.5 with uBlox GPS LEA-6H.
    I had already flown there the day before and everything had gone well (Stabilize - Alt Hold - Loiter - RTL - Circle - Land)
    Today I was trying my new GoPro Gimbal Brushless and after seeing the GPS FIX (7 sat) I have taken off in stabilize obviously, (very well with bit windy) after I switched in
    Alt Hold (Very Rock Altitude) and after I switched on Loiter, the Hexa became aggressive and started quickly to the right until fall to the ground (to rescue I turned down
    Throttle and switched to stabilize but it was too late because I was at too low altitude).
    Here the video, at min. 0.44 switch to Loiter..

https://vimeo.com/72582402

Well, I don't understand the aggressive behavior of hexa when I switched to Loiter. My Loiter Pid was 0.8000 (like suggested) and until yesterday had worked well. (many good
    fly with this configuration)
    The only strange thing that I noticed in the TLOG and LOG, was that the Hexa on the map, when I switched on Loiter, he suddenly changed its position about 30 meters and roll to left (You can see this in the video of the Mission Planner) in the opposite "reaL" direction of the Hexa (The Hexa became aggressive and gone to right, the position on MP gone 30/35 mt left).
    Sounds it like compass problem ?

can you help me understand what happened ?

Best regards - Giuseppe

2013-08-18 07-26 7.log

• i need you help..

i just to check my compass offset values

all is good but not my x value which is -213..i have an external compass and only 7% on compassmot

my quad flyhing very well without problem so what could be causes this problem with my x offsset?

i have made my compas calibration outside with no mettalic things near of my pcb board(all my screw are made in nylon)

does it a problem with missionplanner

• Bonjour à tous

Besoin d'aide:

hier gros crash:cadre entière cassé ,gopro morte! quad détruit

pouvez vous m'aider a analyser les journaux

merci

3692804594?profile=original daniel chapelat

2013-08-18 12-02 7.log

2013-08-18 12-02 7.log.gpx

2013-08-18 12-02 7.kmz

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3692804711?profile=original
  • How can I set the maximum angle the copter will tip when it's flying in auto mode? Is there a parameter for this?

• Randy. May you help me?

I installed the external compass. Now motor interference is down from 130% to 13% only. Loiter is not trying to flip the ufo anymore. Woot! But a new problem is born.  After external compass z offset is over 400. Y and X are good (around 30) Any ideas? Gps antenna is attached to the frame and external compass is up 10cm over a stand. Could this be the problem?

Thanks in advance Randy

• Can anyone quickly tell me if upgrading from 2.9.1 will clear all my settings? if so should I back them up (and import if possible) or is it best to start from scratch ?

• Posting this question after spending more than an hour searching elsewhere for an answer, I hope someone can help.

I installed Arducopter 3.0.1 on an APM 1.4 (2560) board successfully and did initial setup just fine (frame, compass, accel). When I get to Radio Calibration however I can't go further, I get incorrect input results even though the radio connections are correct. Have tried using the terminal too, with no success. I also tried re-binding the radio and receiver, and double-checked the switch setup in the radio.

This is definitely a firmware issue because it was working fine with the previous firmware.

Can anyone help? Why would an APM1 give garbage radio calibration with this firmware?

Radio: Spektrum DX8, receiver: AR6200

• Help guys! I want upload the 3.0.1 firmware to my APM2.5, but I can't update my Mission Planner. The only newer version of MP that works in my PC is 1.2.50, after that version any update I make, the MP crashes on start.
    I have .net frame 4.5 installed on win7, and directx updated.
    Any Ideias?

• Hi!

I got compassmot 3% with external mag, but lost somewhere with compass_orient. Now, when extarnal mag is on board, Y axis is pointed to the right, X axis is pointed to the rear. Super-mathematical question is what should I put in compass_orient?

Hexa flies superb, but RTL and waypoints are tested in controlled flight, with bad direction. At this moment, it is set in compass_orient ROLL180YAW315 and seems to be missed...

This reply was deleted.

Activity