Developer

ArduCopter-3.0.1 released!

ArduCopter 3.0.1 has been released and is now available in the Mission Planner, firmware.diydrones.com, GitHub and the new Downloads Area.

Warning #1: Compass calibration and reducing interference is far more important than with 2.9.1b

Warning #2: GPS glitches can cause sudden and aggressive position changes while in loiter mode.  You may wish to reduce the Loiter PID P to 0.5 (from 1.0) to reduce aggressiveness (see image below of where this gain can be found in mission planner).

Warning #3: optical flow is not supported but will be back in the next release (AC-3.0.2 or AC-3.1.0).

Warning #4: loiter turns does not maintain altitude.  This bug will be fixed in AC-3.0.2.

Warning #5: This release has only been lightly tested on Traditional Helicopters.

Improvements over 2.9.1b include:

• Inertial Navigation for Loiter and Auto meaning much more accurate control (Randy,Leonard,JonathanC)
  • 3D navigation controller follows straight lines in all dimensions between waypoints (Leonard,Randy)

WPNAV_SPEED, WPNAV_SPEED_UP, WPNAV_SPEED_DN, WPNAV_ACCEL allows configuring speeds and acceleration during missions

• "compassmot" to compensate for interference on compass from the pdb, motors, ESCs and battery.  (Randy,JonathanC) (Set-up video here)
  • Safety improvements:
    • simple Tin Can shaped Geo Fence
    • pre-arm checks to ensure all calibration has been performed before arming (can be disabled by setting ARMING_CHECK to zero).  (video description here)
    • GPS failsafe - switches to LAND if GPS is lost for 5 seconds
    • stability patch improvements to stop rapid climbs in very overpowered or overtuned copters
  • Circle mode improvements including "panorama" when CIRCLE_RADIUS set to zero (Randy,Leonard)
  • SONAR_GAIN parameter added to allow better tuning of sonar surface tracking
  • CH8 auxiliary switch (same features as CH7)
  • works on PX4 (some minor features still not available) (Tridge,PatH)

How to upgrade:

1. Make sure you are using Mission Planner 1.2.59 or newer (get it here)

2. Click on the MissionPlanner's Hardware, Install Firmware screen.  The version numbers should appear as "ArduCopter-3.0.1", then click the appropriate frame icon and it should upgrade as per usual.

3. Reduce the Loiter and Alt Hold PIDs if you have modified them from the defaults.  The modified PID values for the 3DR frame can be seen in the image below.

Note: Nav parameters have been combined with Loiter so do not be concerned if you can't find them.

3691038784?profile=original

4. Although not directly related to this release, if you purchased an APM prior to March of 2013, update your PPM encoder to the latest firmware (instructions here).

5. Try out the new version in stabilize mode first, then alt-hold, then loiter and finally RTL and Auto.

Numerous How-To videos are available:

Special Thanks to MarcoDaveC and the large number of testers on the pre-release thread who put their copters at risk during the extended testing period.  Some of their videos can be found hereherehereherehere and here.  Thanks also to MichaelO for the MP changes required for this release.

All feedback welcome.  Please put your questions, comments (good and bad!) below.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• In ArduCopter 3.1-rc2:

- should I do the compass mot as per 3.01? (or not?)

- on a "Medium size quad" ( 750 mm or 29.52 inches in between motor centres ), can I use the default parameters from Mission planner 1.2.80 build 1.1.5016.13386? Or should I change some? {Which ones?}

Quad runs on 4S with 4x 70A ESC and 330 x 102 props. (13 x 4 inches). 

Motors are 600 KV 800Watts each motor thrust: 1520 grams (1.520 kilogram) (53.61642216 ounces oz)

Thank you in advance.

Henri

• Hey Everyone,

I have a problem tuning my apm 2.5. And especially the Yaw gain.

I gave already tried Rate Yaw and Stabilize Yaw.

And must admit that in stab mode the yaw is calm and the copter stays calm as well.

But when i move it to altitude mode and give yaw input the copter response very aggressive so i guess the gain is far to high.

I haven't tried the I gains yet but I have the feeling that I am tuning the wrong gains.

Can somebody point me in the right direction which gains to tune when I am in altitude mode.

by de way I tune using the channel 6 knob.

QuadCopter specs:

arducopte quad c frame  with 850 KV motors and external compass/gps module from 3drobotics.

vibrations or oke and compasmott was 2%.

Thanks Erik

• Hi all,
    Anyone using ultra ESC with their APM board?
    Please share the result..

Thanks.
  • I did start to have next message on Mission Planner when flying my arducoper quad:

"Failed to update home location".

I do fly also arduplane, but never had that error.

What is the cause of that, what exactly means.

I notice message also appears when I run tlog reply after flying.

3692846473?profile=original

• Has anybody got a theory about this (power?) problem.

JP1 removed and using all opto ESCs. Nothing else is on the APM output side, just 8 ESCs.

RX (hitec optima9) is powered with the SPC (high voltage) input. RX 5v rail supplied from APM.

APM is supplied from a 5A ubec plugged into input8.

All works great UNTIL I plug a small (HS81) servo into the RX (yes directly into RX).

After about 1 minute the APM stops listening to the radio inputs. It still seems to be alive as Im getting telemetry with attitude and GPS etc, also the orange APM LED goes off.

I have turned off logging due to the overworked octa issue but the telemetry suggests Vcc does not fall below 4.8v and it looks smooth. 5A for a mini servo should be OK?

I can see I will probably have to use another ubec for the servo (camera zoom) but I cant see why it needs it.

Cheers

Vince

• Were can we find on the forum pixhawk information like,

Info about the developers testing?

Build design progress?

Release dates or other info?

And I do not mean the 4 teaser post from pixhawk bit a forum topic would be nice because release should be in October, uhm it is already October ;)

• Well done my friend.....I checked this version its awesome....

Regards,
    UNMANNEDENGINEERIA
    www.unmannedengineeria.com

Unmanned Engineeria | Expert unmanned engineeria makers
  • Can anyone tell me if autotuning works or is implemented in 3.x? The only detailed reference's I can find are over a year old, and I don't see anything in the new ardupilot.com wiki

• Do you seriously have to have the amp plugged into usb to do the compasMot Setup!!!???  Is there no other way to do it via telemetry or a special setting?  Thanks,

Nate

• I have a question about channel 6 tuning

I have set on my radio turning 9x with opentx channel 6 to the turning knob P2, when I check in radio calibration I can see the value changing from 993 to 1997 while turning the p2 knob

When I select wp speed for channel 6 opt with min value 0.4000 and max 0.6000

With the p2 knob on minimum the value in full parameter list is 400 cm/s and turning the P2 knob it only changes to 600 with no value between.

What going wrong?

This reply was deleted.

Activity