Developer

ArduCopter-3.0.1 released!

ArduCopter 3.0.1 has been released and is now available in the Mission Planner, firmware.diydrones.com, GitHub and the new Downloads Area.

Warning #1: Compass calibration and reducing interference is far more important than with 2.9.1b

Warning #2: GPS glitches can cause sudden and aggressive position changes while in loiter mode.  You may wish to reduce the Loiter PID P to 0.5 (from 1.0) to reduce aggressiveness (see image below of where this gain can be found in mission planner).

Warning #3: optical flow is not supported but will be back in the next release (AC-3.0.2 or AC-3.1.0).

Warning #4: loiter turns does not maintain altitude.  This bug will be fixed in AC-3.0.2.

Warning #5: This release has only been lightly tested on Traditional Helicopters.

Improvements over 2.9.1b include:

• Inertial Navigation for Loiter and Auto meaning much more accurate control (Randy,Leonard,JonathanC)
  • 3D navigation controller follows straight lines in all dimensions between waypoints (Leonard,Randy)

WPNAV_SPEED, WPNAV_SPEED_UP, WPNAV_SPEED_DN, WPNAV_ACCEL allows configuring speeds and acceleration during missions

• "compassmot" to compensate for interference on compass from the pdb, motors, ESCs and battery.  (Randy,JonathanC) (Set-up video here)
  • Safety improvements:
    • simple Tin Can shaped Geo Fence
    • pre-arm checks to ensure all calibration has been performed before arming (can be disabled by setting ARMING_CHECK to zero).  (video description here)
    • GPS failsafe - switches to LAND if GPS is lost for 5 seconds
    • stability patch improvements to stop rapid climbs in very overpowered or overtuned copters
  • Circle mode improvements including "panorama" when CIRCLE_RADIUS set to zero (Randy,Leonard)
  • SONAR_GAIN parameter added to allow better tuning of sonar surface tracking
  • CH8 auxiliary switch (same features as CH7)
  • works on PX4 (some minor features still not available) (Tridge,PatH)

How to upgrade:

1. Make sure you are using Mission Planner 1.2.59 or newer (get it here)

2. Click on the MissionPlanner's Hardware, Install Firmware screen.  The version numbers should appear as "ArduCopter-3.0.1", then click the appropriate frame icon and it should upgrade as per usual.

3. Reduce the Loiter and Alt Hold PIDs if you have modified them from the defaults.  The modified PID values for the 3DR frame can be seen in the image below.

Note: Nav parameters have been combined with Loiter so do not be concerned if you can't find them.

3691038784?profile=original

4. Although not directly related to this release, if you purchased an APM prior to March of 2013, update your PPM encoder to the latest firmware (instructions here).

5. Try out the new version in stabilize mode first, then alt-hold, then loiter and finally RTL and Auto.

Numerous How-To videos are available:

Special Thanks to MarcoDaveC and the large number of testers on the pre-release thread who put their copters at risk during the extended testing period.  Some of their videos can be found hereherehereherehere and here.  Thanks also to MichaelO for the MP changes required for this release.

All feedback welcome.  Please put your questions, comments (good and bad!) below.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I actually did have some kind of hiccup yesterday. It was around 4:00PM EST. I haven't looked at my logs real close yet, didn't have time. I did check GPS and a few other params though. Nothing stands out. I always had > 9 sats and a hdop of < 2.

It was about 8-9 minutes into a flight. I had loitered a bunch with no problems. Flew it around in alt-hold, transitioned to loiter and a few seconds later it made a hard bank. I was able to switch into stabilize and regain control. Landed with no problems.

Battery voltage was down around 22.5, but I had only used around 3500 mah out of 10000 available,

I'm going to try to troubleshoot it a bit more later today and see if I can find out what caused it.
  • Hello all,

How can i reload the Arducopter 3.0.1 firmware on my XAircraft X650 V8 APM 2.6 so that it over writes anything i have changed? There appears to be something wrong with the 3DR power module (As far as i can Guess) that when the Battery is connected, the Motors Start Spinning full throttle. there are no beeps as is customary with the APM 2.6, the motors spin with or with out the Radio receiver.

i am a little mystified as to what the THR_MAX, THR_MID, THR_MIN represents as it relates to the signal my Radio Sends (FLYSky TH9X)? are these values representative of a percentage? SO THR_MIN 130 = 1.3%, THR_MID 500 = 50%, THR_MAX 1000 = 100%? my Throtlle Radio values Start at 1049 for LOW, 1882 for MAX.

thanks in advance

Anyone else suffer nasty GPS glitches midday today? Had two in loiter and auto that must have been significant, because they overcame the GPS glitch detection threshold. both cases were recovered manually. I still need to look at logs to review the incidents.

• Hi Randy, when do we expect rc7 to be release?

• How is the size of the firmware now? is there now less of an issue to use more options without the processor crapping itself?

• Has anyone had any issues, after loading

the new FW? I just loaded the MP and FW. My HEXA B worked before the download. No I get the normal startup sounds, but the motor wont even twitch, other than the normal battery connect movement?

Ideas?

Thanks

• Hi,

Here is my diy full carbon quad: https://www.hobbyrc.com/forum/threads/89602-Carbon-fiber-balsa-komp...

And today i tried maiden flight. But crashed in alt hold mode. Video shows everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8Y09oSqIL0

I am looking to log file but not sure. Please can you check my log file?

Sorry my english..

2013-11-19 12-39 91.log

Carbon fiber & balsa kompozit quadcopter
    Türkiye'nin En Kaliteli ve En Kapsamlı ilk RC Model Web Sitesi Radio Kontrollü RC Araba RC Uçak RC Helikopter RC Tekne ve dahası HobbyRC CLuB 'da.…
  • Hello. My copter suffered a battery failsafe and automatically switched to LAND mode - I'm running 3.1-rc5. According to the Wiki, the copter should disarm motors after it lands, if the throttle is at zero. I pulled the throttle low, once I figured out that battery failsafe may have kicked in (see plot below). From the plot, you can see that the copter lands, but instead of disarming the motors automatically, it jumps up then flips over.

3692883345?profile=original

I found the code for land detection in update_land_detector().  So it seems that if climb_rate is within +/-20cm/s and motors.limit.throttle_lower is true, ap.land_complete will be set to true. What does it mean for motors.limit.throttle_lower to be true?

The actual disarming of motors occurs in get_throttle_land(). Once the copter is within 10 meters of takeoff altitude, the motors would be disarmed automatically, if ap.land_complete is true and throttle is at zero. The throttle value is zero in the plot, so does this mean ap.land_complete was not set to true in update_land_detector()?

I've attached my logs from the flight, only the last couple of minutes are relevant.  Please take a look - I would appreciate any answers/suggestions on this.  Thanks.

2013-11-16 13-10 18.log

• Hi, @Randy. What happened to RC6? I uploaded it using MP the day it was released  but a few hours later you wrote that you were pulling it back due to some error reports. If this is the case then I think it´s very clever to do that. I reversed my firmware to version 3.0.1 but when can we expect RC6 to be online? Are you planning on re release it or move to RC7?

Thanks for this great piece of software and all the great work from all the developers!

Greetings from South America!

• Hi Guys,

on my 450 after autotune it flies quite well, however it rocks back quite significantly whenever i stop forward flight..

my major problem is that when I yaw (i mentioned this before) even slowly it see saws and moves backwards significantly (so a backward spiral)... (i have bumped up sab yaw - ) but is there anything else i can tune , or just run save trims again?

Also when i move forward in alt hold i drop alt quite significantly should i increase Throttle Rate_P a bit more, or another param?

pids_freedom_18_11.png

This reply was deleted.

Activity