Developer

ArduCopter-3.0.1 released!

ArduCopter 3.0.1 has been released and is now available in the Mission Planner, firmware.diydrones.com, GitHub and the new Downloads Area.

Warning #1: Compass calibration and reducing interference is far more important than with 2.9.1b

Warning #2: GPS glitches can cause sudden and aggressive position changes while in loiter mode.  You may wish to reduce the Loiter PID P to 0.5 (from 1.0) to reduce aggressiveness (see image below of where this gain can be found in mission planner).

Warning #3: optical flow is not supported but will be back in the next release (AC-3.0.2 or AC-3.1.0).

Warning #4: loiter turns does not maintain altitude.  This bug will be fixed in AC-3.0.2.

Warning #5: This release has only been lightly tested on Traditional Helicopters.

Improvements over 2.9.1b include:

• Inertial Navigation for Loiter and Auto meaning much more accurate control (Randy,Leonard,JonathanC)
  • 3D navigation controller follows straight lines in all dimensions between waypoints (Leonard,Randy)

WPNAV_SPEED, WPNAV_SPEED_UP, WPNAV_SPEED_DN, WPNAV_ACCEL allows configuring speeds and acceleration during missions

• "compassmot" to compensate for interference on compass from the pdb, motors, ESCs and battery.  (Randy,JonathanC) (Set-up video here)
  • Safety improvements:
    • simple Tin Can shaped Geo Fence
    • pre-arm checks to ensure all calibration has been performed before arming (can be disabled by setting ARMING_CHECK to zero).  (video description here)
    • GPS failsafe - switches to LAND if GPS is lost for 5 seconds
    • stability patch improvements to stop rapid climbs in very overpowered or overtuned copters
  • Circle mode improvements including "panorama" when CIRCLE_RADIUS set to zero (Randy,Leonard)
  • SONAR_GAIN parameter added to allow better tuning of sonar surface tracking
  • CH8 auxiliary switch (same features as CH7)
  • works on PX4 (some minor features still not available) (Tridge,PatH)

How to upgrade:

1. Make sure you are using Mission Planner 1.2.59 or newer (get it here)

2. Click on the MissionPlanner's Hardware, Install Firmware screen.  The version numbers should appear as "ArduCopter-3.0.1", then click the appropriate frame icon and it should upgrade as per usual.

3. Reduce the Loiter and Alt Hold PIDs if you have modified them from the defaults.  The modified PID values for the 3DR frame can be seen in the image below.

Note: Nav parameters have been combined with Loiter so do not be concerned if you can't find them.

3691038784?profile=original

4. Although not directly related to this release, if you purchased an APM prior to March of 2013, update your PPM encoder to the latest firmware (instructions here).

5. Try out the new version in stabilize mode first, then alt-hold, then loiter and finally RTL and Auto.

Numerous How-To videos are available:

Special Thanks to MarcoDaveC and the large number of testers on the pre-release thread who put their copters at risk during the extended testing period.  Some of their videos can be found hereherehereherehere and here.  Thanks also to MichaelO for the MP changes required for this release.

All feedback welcome.  Please put your questions, comments (good and bad!) below.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I'm using 3.1rc7 and I guess the satellite's are having problems today, at least in the SH. Best I could get was 6 sats and 3.5 hdop. Did a short flight in stabilize and then noticed it starting to auto land. Then it would refuse to arm or arm and immediately disarm. I understand the reason for this in GPS dependent modes and I know even stable uses GPS to some extent but I was wondering what would happen in an FPV flight if this happened. I mostly fly in places that are not flat and are hard to get to and impossible to land. It would just auto land me and then it could roll several hundred meters to the bottom of the valley.
    Wouldn't it be better to allow control instead of auto land since I would be flying with FPV camera and have no problem to land if necessary? I mostly use alt hold for FPV and even that should be fine with a bad GPS fix.
    Is there a way to turn off this auto land triggered by bad GPS fix?

Regarding the modes available on 3.1rc7, the wiki doesn't say anything about the following modes: "OF_loiter, ToyA, ToyB, Sport". Drift is not listed either (or is that one of ToyX?).

3692890973?profile=original

Can anyone provide some clarification on these modes please? ( I know what OF_loiter is)

Also what is Multi Mode in the ch7/8 options?
  • Hi,

I just had a huge crash this morning, hoping somebody can help with my logs.

Setup:

Arducopter V3.1 rc5

APM2.5, modified with External compass

TBS disco,

Tiger MT2216-11 (900KV)

F30A ESC

Graupner 9x5

What broke:

4 props

1 arm

GPS antenna

Antenna stand

external piezo buzzer

Dragonlink receiver SMA coupling

1.3G CP video antenna

GoPro lense protector

Top Frame plate

I was in my backyard making use of the low winds setting some trims. A bit of a slight wind came through, which I tried to correct for by giving it a little bit of reverse pitch, then it just pulled itself full backwards and nearly straight into myself, and narrowly missing my kitchen window. It smashed straight into the wall at full reverse throttle. It stayed that way until I was able to disconnect the lipo. No property damage, just my quad.

I had just finished installing a new antenna mast which holds my GPS and compass, so was making sure it was still trimmed OK. not sure if the new antenna had anything to do with the crash.

2013-12-01 09-02 26.log

• My 3DR Y6 seems to lose altitude when I initiate motion in any direction when in loiter or alt hold. What setting should I adjust?

Thanks
  • with the compass calibration where I have built my own external compass and GPS mount, which out of the Compass setup should I select on the APM compass setup page?The compass is same as was use on the APM1 board and now mounted on the pole in the same direction as it was as on the board.  I assume "APM with External Compass" is only for the 3DR external compass?

• Good evening all. I don't know if the problem I'm about to explain is 3.1RC7 or Mission Planner issue but I have noticed it on multiple occasions since testing the RCs. I was tuning Alt Hold P using channel 6 on my ER9x and I set the the min to be .75 and the max 2.6. Everything went well I was noticing a difference while turning the dial and flying. I got to around the 2.6 max where I was most happy. I landed, disarmed and packed up to head home since I didn't have my laptop on me to check PIDs. When I get back to the computer and plug in Alt Hold is showing a P value of 0.0000. I do not have the radio on at this point but the knob is still in the same position. Turning on the remote and a refresh screen I see the Alt Hold value of 2.29. 

Am I wrong to believe that value should have been saved to APM and present without having to turn on the remote? This has happen on multiple occasions but I just assumed I was doing something wrong. Any suggestions? 

• Developer

Super smooth APM Copter V3.2-DEV, all recorded in Loiter... ;-)
    Have fun!

Marco

• 3.1-RC7, It's very perfect on Loiter mode.

Controller : APM 2.5 and GPS uBlox LEA-6H with Compass
    Frame : Tarot Quad 650
    Motor : T-Motor MN3110-26 470KV
    ESC : T-Motor 40A
    Prop : T-Motor Carbonfiber 15x5
    Battery : Zippy 4s 8000 mAh 30C
    Radio : Turnigy9XR with Frsky Module
    Receiver : FrSky D4R-II Receiver
    Hover Time : about 24 mins.

• When I do a compassmot and with half throttle no changes are measured, and the compass mot failed to set the measure anything what could be the problem?

And yes motors were turning and calibrated and it is a new build with rc7

• Hi,

I have scratch installed RC7 on my X8 with PX4 + IO and have some questions.

here the HW 8 x Rctimer 40A Simonk + HP4215-460 Rctimer 15 x 5,5 CFK ,R6303SB receiver

4kg with Gimbal and Battery (camera was not installed)

1.I had to do compass calibration several times (got bad compass heath and offsets to high) any idea ?

2. Any update if Futaba R7008SB is supported via SBUS ? didn't work in the past !

3. attached a log file (had some twitches around line 4200-4300) i would appreciate if someone could have a look. 

Thanks

Thomas

1.bin

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3692889711?profile=original
This reply was deleted.

Activity