About

Gender

Male


Location

San Jose, CA


About Me:

Positions held since 1980 VP, Global IT Sr Director, Business Process Eng Director, Manufacturing Development Sr Product Design Engineer (communications)


Please tell us a bit about your UAV interest

As an executive, I haven't been using all of the capabilities I once enjoyed and have been looking for something that involves elec engineering, mech eng, programming and looks like a whole lot of challenge and fun. This looks like this will fit the bill!


Hometown:

San Jose, CA


Activity Feed

Dusty Starbucks left a comment for Dusty Starbucks
"Blaine,
One more thing.  What transmitter are you using?  The biggest factor to help me fly was to set my sticks to non-linear values.  I use a DX8 and am able to tone down the control commands via the radio.  If I didn't I would have exactly what…"
Mar 15, 2012
Dusty Starbucks left a comment for Dusty Starbucks
"Blain,
I never got to the point of changing the default PIDs with Arducopter.  I had other issues that took precedence over the finer things.  My problem was that I couldn't trust it, after it flew off into the wild blue yonder leaving me without…"
Mar 15, 2012
Dusty Starbucks commented on Hein du Plessis's blog post First aerial photography
"That is really nice.  Do you get near actual altitude measurements in the 3D model.  I am looking at applications that require +/- 1 meter or so clutter altitudes such as the buildings you show.  Nice work!"
Mar 13, 2012
Dusty Starbucks left a comment for Dusty Starbucks
"Yes, it should be a lot more solid.  Looks good too.  :)  I saw your video.  Double check that all of your motors are connected correctly.  By that I mean in the right order.  The one thing that I can think would cause what you are seeing is motor…"
Mar 10, 2012
Dusty Starbucks commented on Graham Dyer's blog post Amps, volts & watts comparison on quad with 4S & 3S batteries
"Not sure how that was calculated.  Back of the envelope I get 3s = 11.88 min, 4S = 9.90 min.  4S has more lift power, 3S has longer flight time at that weight, but as weight increases this will have a crossover and the 4S will get longer flight…"
Mar 1, 2012
Dusty Starbucks replied to Kristian's discussion Lost prop mid flight
"Kristian,
I am in the same position.  If I can trust the bird, I can put a camera on it.  I had the same thing happen this weekend.  I am running a hexa and was running fine for about a half hour, then at about 60' alt, it flipped and went into the…"
Feb 20, 2012
Dusty Starbucks posted a discussion
I know this has been covered, but things seem to be picking up quickly on the subject.Here is last night's Nightline report on drones and all of the negatives of putting them in the hands regular people…
Feb 16, 2012
Dusty Starbucks posted a discussion
So,  last weeks episode ended with me with my head hanging low and the contemplation that hard drugs and hard alcohol could possibly act as a substitute for my obsession to get into multicopters.(See…
Feb 13, 2012
Dusty Starbucks replied to Lloyd Breckenridge's discussion What inidicates RTL in the log file
"I find that the modes are difficult, on a good day, to find in the log file. I just write it out to a .kmz file and look at the modes in google earth. Much easier."
Feb 11, 2012
Dusty Starbucks posted a discussion
Prior to it's last flight, my hexa, which I am thinking of naming after some sort of bug like the queen bee, was finally flying.  I had taken it out three times to see how it did.  Used a couple simple modes which seemed to work okay (RTL, Loiter). …
Feb 8, 2012
Dusty Starbucks replied to Marco Robustini's discussion ArduCopter Heavy X-Octo / X8 Coax - Foto, video and other
"Marco,
Very nice thread. I bought a jDrones hexa with 880 KV mtrs and 30 amp escs. First remote control outdoor vehicle of any kind for me. I am running a 4S 5000 mah bat and was wondering what voltage does your octa start dropping out of the…"
Feb 5, 2012
Dusty Starbucks replied to Dusty Starbucks's discussion Hexa Yaw Problems
"Went out to a more open area, took off and the bird started a CW rotation that by the time I was at 15 ft alt, the rotation on the Yaw was about 60 rpm (time revolution per second).  It had drifted about 50 ft in fromnt of me so the landing ended…"
Feb 4, 2012
Dusty Starbucks replied to Johann Van Niekerk's discussion Adding a Hall sensor to brushless motors ?
"Doesn't really tell you how fast it is spinning.  Tells you how much current it is drawing, within a tolerance.  This tells you how hard the motor is working to spin, not neccessarily how fast the spin is.  Can still be useful, but for larger…"
Feb 4, 2012
Dusty Starbucks posted a discussion
While learning how to fly my bird, I have given up on the crappy little legs provided by jDrones as they were broke, repaired and broke again.  Time to go to Lowe's and see if they have something to make legs out of.  Searched all the ailes and…
Feb 4, 2012
Dusty Starbucks replied to Dusty Starbucks's discussion Hexa Yaw Problems
"Tested again tonight. Was able to keep the bird up a little longer in my limited space. As it comes off the ground it yaws CCW, within a few seconds it is going CW. Is this a yaw setting problem that can be tweaked?"
Feb 3, 2012
Dusty Starbucks replied to Dusty Starbucks's discussion Hexa Yaw Problems
"I tried some more things to see if it would work.  It's kind of strange.  I crank up the throttle to just below take off and it starts rotating CCW.  Then I back the throttle down a little and move it up again and it starts rotating the other way. …"
Feb 2, 2012
More…